Ch 71

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

"Let me know when you're done packing."

It was the third time Lucy had said it when they had made the decision to return to their hometown. Michael nodded and smiled a little. "I'll let you know, don't worry," Michael replied as he accompanied Lucy to the door. "Besides, I don't have much stuff with me."

"Because you are poor."

"Shut up."

Lucy laughed softly before patting Michael on the shoulder in encouragement, though Michael still fixed an annoyed look at Ennard. "I'll go first then."

In response to the goodbye, Michael only nodded for the second time and watched Lucy walk through the yard, open the gate, then run away quickly. Michael was really grateful for Lucy's help, she was very understanding. Michael closed the door of the house and locked it twice, then he put his hands on his hips facing Ennard who had transformed into a human form.

"You," Michael pointed at Ennard with his forefinger, "help me clean up."

"No."

"Enn!"

The animatronic didn't answer, instead his eyebrows knit together and he looked away while his lips were tightly pressed together. Seeing that, Michael slightly frowned. Ennard had been acting a little strange after they had decided to return. Did Ennard like this house?

"We have no other choice." Michael raised his voice after their silence as he stepped closer to Ennard. "You like being here? I'm starting to feel at home too, but those bastards. We have to move."

Ennard's bicolored eyes glanced briefly at the eldest Afton, then Ennard snorted and walked away leaving Michael alone in the living room. He could feel Michael's gaze fixed on his back, but he didn't care even having to put up with the discomfort. Rather, he was unwilling to leave this house. Mixed feelings. Ennard stopped halfway down the hall to look out the window at the swing in the backyard.

A memory flashed through his head, Ennard glanced back hearing the sound of footsteps approaching him. There was doubt on Michael's face, he could see it clearly. Perhaps wondering if it was okay for him to get close to the animatronic. However, Ennard's pupils shifted to the swing again and there wasn't any change in his expression.

At least to Michael, it was a sign that Ennard didn't mind being approached, so Michael stepped in quicker with a steeled smile.

"We've got maybe two to three days," Michael said as he stood next to Ennard, looking in the same direction out of the window. "So let's really clean up this house before we go, we need to keep everything safe in case they decide to rummage it. I don't want them to ruin the house, you don't want that either, right?"

Their gazes met, Michael raised an eyebrow at Ennard while his smile remained permanently on his face. A meaningful smile. Ennard almost taken aback but he looked away again as fast as he could.

"Also, I want to come back here again if the situation is safe." Michael put his palms on his hips and nodded to himself. "My house is boring."

"Then you will meet your old friend again."

Michael flinched slightly, he raised his eyebrows briefly and took a deep breath before letting it out slowly. "Mark is an umpteenth problem," Michael retorted, almost sounding grouchy. "We don't know where to go if we go to another city because it is undeniable that there is a bigger risk if we return to my house. It's hard to decide."

Even so, he actually had another option. However, Michael didn't want to bother his father's friend again, especially with his condition like this. He couldn't endanger others because of his troubles.

"Life is troublesome."

"I can blame you for turning me into a walking corpse, you know," Michael teased, elbowing Ennard playfully—Ennard felt embarrassed at that and turned his slightly blushing face away from Michael. Michael chuckled at him. "Let's clean up quickly, the sooner the better."

Ennard turned his head slowly to look at Michael who smiled at him, then Michael turned it into a grin and stood on his tiptoes to pat the top of his head a few times before walking away.

The eyes that were of a different color were slightly rounded, a burning sensation instantly swept over his face, the heart was beating too fast.