Chapter Eleven: A Plan Comes to BookBox

Start from the beginning

"I thought a TikTok and some Insta graphics?"

"We could do something on Twitter, too," Jameela says.

"That'd be great."

"What book does this relate to again?" Addison asks.

"Most Wanted."

"I haven't read that one."

"It's good. White Orchid x The Kissing Booth."

"I can't even visualize what that means."

"It'll do well," I say.

"Let's hope so." Addison's phone rings and she answers it with a frown. She actively discourages anyone from calling her.

Jameela's gone back to her Twitter feud, simultaneously tweeting furiously and DMing with three different people.

I check my subscription numbers. We pick five books a month plus an add-on and subscribers can order past books that we still have in stock. Ideally, we want all five picks to sell through evenly, but it rarely works out like that. Most Wanted is trending slightly low for the month, which was part of the pitch I put together for this whole thing. Generating buzz for books is what we do. The more we're seen as tastemakers, the more subscriptions we get. And anytime you can get a book to go viral, then that helps subscriptions and sales.

Addison ends her call. "Apparently, my social security number's been compromised."

I laugh. This happens once a week. Addison does not take shit from scammers. "Did you make him cry again?"

"Almost." She scrunches her face. "Those assholes. Preying on old people. It's bullshit."

"Agreed. Any chance either of you wants to help stuff boxes with me tonight? Beer and snacks on me?"

Addison taps her chin. "Tempting, but I have something I need to finish."

I hazard a guess. "A new chapter?"

"What?"

Oops. "You write, right?"

"How did you know that?"

I raise my hands to ratchet down the tension. "I'm not snooping. We work five feet away from one another."

"Right." She breathes out through her nose. "Well, yeah, sometimes I do."

"I'd love to take a look."

Addison turns away. "Nah, I'm all set."

"Is it First Kill fanfiction?" Jameela asks. She's as curious about what Addison writes as I am, and has even gone so far as to suggest we break into her workstation when Addison is away to see if we can find her profile.

"What? No."

Jameela laughs. "We'll find out eventually."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I make a motion to waive Jameela off. "Nothing. Jameela's just feeling punchy because someone said something shitty about Kate."

"A daily occurrence."

"Yep. But she's got Jameela and co to defend her so, it's all good."

Addison shrugs and starts to type again, then stops and closes out of something. She stands. "I'm going to go get a coffee. Anyone want?"

"I'm good."

Jameela gives Addison her coffee order. Addison starts to leave, goes back to her workstation and logs out, shooting us both a look.