"John! Cassie's in good hands. She's safe and Travis has a heart of gold. He won't let her get hurt, I'm positive about that. Relax." He muttered something about what I can do with his gold heart. It made me let out an unappreciated laugh.

"I'll give them your love, honey. Take care now." Hanging up the phone with a smile on my face. I look back at the little angel in my backseat. "You're grand-daddy loves you so much, I know he wants to meet you. Don't you worry, he will soon, I'm sure of it."

Playing the spy game has been fun for me. It has been easy enough for me. I'm not known around town as the local gossip for nothing. So to find out, dig up, and eavesdrop for information on the newcomer in town hasn't been very difficult. And getting to know most of the players in this little game has been very intriguing.

I like nothing better than a good dramatic romance. This is definitely that. Give me a large soda and a bucket of popcorn. I'm ready for the action scene! And by action I don't mean guns blazing. I'm talking serious action, the kind that have some 'bow chica bow wow' to it!

Old Doc Earl served with John McAfferty years ago, when they still wet behind the ears. So when Cassie's name came up in conversation when she first arrived in town, Doc's curiosity rose thinking it might be possible that she is John's daughter. A few phone calls later and a visit with a PI that was snooping around town gave him his answer. She is the one and only John James McAfferty's little girl.

Isn't it a hoot that she wound up here in this small town where her daddy old friend lives?

After the little talk Doc had with that PI who was asking a lot of questions about Cassie, it didn't take very long for John to contact Doc. The PI as it turns out wasn't hired by John. That's when both of them got fired up about who could be after her. I can't say they were wrong. As it happens I agreed with their assessment. John needed to find out what was really going on with his daughter.

That's where I got involved. Doc told John that I would be his best source of information on Cassie's situation. Being as I'm female and a wealth of local information, I'm highly skilled at getting people to talk to me. I love a good mystery as much as the next guy, so lending my ear and befriending Cassie was easy enough.

Unfortunately, that girl is exceptional at keeping her secrets. I couldn't tell him much, but I agreed to keep an eye on her, just in case there are any problems. Doc and I have stayed in touch with John and kept tabs on Cassie. It's the best we could do until Travis came to town.

When John let us know he was sending Travis to town, I knew there was something more happening than we knew about. Cassie never let on that she was in any trouble. She definitely didn't know a thing about Travis. I would have heard about that. My involvement in the situation and Doc's connection to John was intact, so I assumed our little secret was still safe.

I had to give myself a big Pat on the back for my self control. For someone who is known as the local gossip hound, I've managed to keep the best secret in town and I still haven't said a word. Now that was a monumental feat.

If I only had the same kind of restraint with Miss Molly's cream puffs, I'd have the same sleek body as a Victoria Secret model.

Laughing at myself for even thinking that I could resist one of those sweet tasty treats, I remind myself to swing by the bakery and pick up my weekly order. One of these days, I'm gonna find myself a man who's gonna love me as much as I do those cream puffs.

Travis

I drove about a half a mile down the road before I couldn't stand it and pulled over to the side of the road. All I could do was sit there, staring out the windshield at the tree line in front of me. My frustrations are getting the best of me. I let Cassie's reluctance get to me. I know better than this. I allowed my own feelings to cloud my judgment and now I'm no longer thinking with my head.