Overtop the foul stench was the overpowering odor of food stalls. They all cooked something different so the smells clashed.

I didn't have a sensitive nose like
Miwa, but it was still nauseating. Coupled with the loudness and sheer volume of people–

Madara must have noticed something in my expression. He wordlessly took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Stay close," he murmured quietly. He tugged me along, pulling with a firm but gentle amount of force.
Made me want to tease him some more.

"I feel safer already," I said lightly. "Who would dare approach such a cute little princess?"

Madara glared at me. "I'm not taking the bait. Stop trying to get a rise out of me."

"But nothing makes me happier than seeing your cheeks turn rosy," I cooed. "It's so precious."

"My cheeks do not turn rosy," he snapped, his grip on my hand tightened.

"Why are you so upset?" I teased. "It's a compliment any princess would be happy to hear."

He headbutted me and then stormed away.

I rubbed at my broken nose, giggling to myself. His explosive reactions were always so amusing to me. I knew they wouldn't last. Once he was out of adolescence, he would have a handle on his hormones and emotions. In their place there would only be cool confidence and cold patience.
With my escort now gone, I decided it was time to roam the city more freely.

Adults hustled and bustled with purpose, and children ducked in and out of sight between them. Alleyways were dark, cramped, and had an ominous aura. It was easy to spot the shinobi-for-hire. They stood out in the crowd with their intimidating presence and barely restrained chakra.

There was an energy to the city. A vibrancy I had not felt in a long time.

Beautiful. Bright.

Dangerous.

This was a city before the villages were formed. Before order was established in the countries. Before many, many laws were formed.
Kikyo's words echoed in my head.

"You're too pretty, slavers might want you."

I regretted not bringing my mask along.

I could probably still try to find Madara. I knew if I apologized he'd take my hand again and show me around.

That would be the smart thing to do.

But—

I lifted my head up to that blue sky and took a deep breath. Memories intermingled together.

Are you all watching me now? What would you have me do here?

The moment was interrupted when someone bumped into me. I felt a hand brush over my waist where my money had been kept.

I had a small pouch of coins forced upon me between various adults. I did not take payment for my healing because I did not see a need to. If I wanted something, I could forage it or steal it.