What do you expect, Sunlyn, you did tell him to fuck off?

And right now, in this meeting, he's giving me that stare.

"There is a conference today in South London and I would like Dario and Sunlyn to be our representatives," Mrs. Archibald finished.

Considering I didn't hear the first part, I just nodded my head, agreeing to this madness.

"Great, it's starting soon, so I expect you both to head out after we conclude the meeting." From there, she ended everything. Told me that Dario has been to these meetings many times and I should just follow his lead, expecting me to be able to go on my own in the future.

After that, I had to go through the most awkward car ride of my life. Dario seemed like he wanted to talk to me many times, but probably thought I'd shut him down.

At the meeting, he spoke mostly, the only time I spoke up was to share some of the company's data increases throughout the years. In a boardroom with a bunch of old white males, I was bored out of my mind, even though they all stared at me like my eyes were green and I spoke a foreign language, throughout most of it they just sat back and listened to Dario. After we stated our case, the rest went. Soon the board room would be almost empty.

Filled with the shuffling noises of paper being gathered and a man approaching me, "Micheal Walsh," he held his hand out to me.

My eyebrows slightly furrowed, before taking his hand. "Sunlyn Carter."

"I've never seen you at these conferences before," he smiled.

"My first time."

"Ahh, I've been here too many times." I smiled at him, hoping he get the hint to leave this conversation where it is, "Well if you ever need any help with anything or even just a night out in the city, I think I could be very helpful to you." He held out his business card to me.

I eyed it for a second before a large arm from behind me snatched it out of Micheal's hand. As I turned behind me, Dario ripped into as many tiny pieces as he could possibly. "Ms. Carter can't, she'll be too busy working." Then, walks out of the room.

really...

Considering he's my ride, I gather my belongings to catch up behind him, "I'm sorry, Micheal I can't, but thanks for your offer." Leaving before the man could say another word.

Finally catching up to Dario as the Valet pulled his car up. He proceeds to open the passenger door for me, before getting in on his side. As soon as he closes his door, I spoke up, "Dario you didn't have to do that."

He didn't speak till he pulled off, "Are you ready?"

"Am I ready? For what?" I questioned.

"To talk."

"About what? I made myself very clear the other night."

He drove up to a small restaurant, just a few blocks away from the building we just came from. He turns off the engine, exiting the car without another word. Then, appearing on my side of the car, he stared down at me with a hard look. "Let's go, Sunlyn."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Folding my arms over my chest. "What do you not understand, we are not..."

He grunts, getting frustrated with me, "Sunlyn, get out of the car." He crossed my body and unbuckled my seatbelt. "Now." I finally give in, getting out of the car. He shut the door behind me, then grabbed my hand, caressing my ring finger as we walk into the calm dining space.

I try to release my hand from his, but he only held on tighter. Quickly that hostess sat us down at the table, Dario spoke, "For now could you just send out two glasses of wine." The hostess nodded, flagging down a waiter. I sat there staring at everything but Dario.

"Darling," his husky voice started. "Look at me." Finally sitting back in my chair, fluttering my lashes as my vision focused on his dark green eyes. He stared deep into my eyes, causing my heart to skip several beats.

He leaned forward against the table, "I know...I know the scene you walked into the other night was frightening. But, it wasn't what it looked like."

My eyebrows rose, I whispered for only him to hear, "It looked like you shot someone, I don't think it needs any further explanation than that."

His jaw tightened, "Sunlyn, you don't understand..." He sighed, "Pierce is not a good person."

"Oh and you're such a saint, look I'm going to judge you or your lifestyle any further, but I really don't need it in my life."

He grunted, and the waiter brought two tall wine glasses to the table, before dismissing himself considering all of the tension between us. "He broke into my house, threatened my life...and yours. So, I shot him, when you walked in. Yes, it was more complicated than that but that's the story of my past, Sunlyn. A story for another time. But, right now I want to talk about us."

...

Well, today has definitely been a day.

Soaking in a much-needed hot bath, to unwind from this work day. When all my thoughts just go back to this afternoon, from being with Dario. The conversation just hit a dead end, but that's typical of me like Cassidy said, finding the first way to get out of commitment. I don't even do it as much as she says. But she is right about after my last actual break up, I haven't been in a committed relationship. Just shitty dates and blocked numbers, okay maybe I do cut guys off too fast.

Fuck, I hate when Cassidy is right!

After my bath, I change into a silky nightgown, I head downstairs to get a before-bed snack when my doorbell rings. Who could that be? I check through the window before opening the door, from first glance it looked like Dario, but when I swing the door open, it's Theo.

...

<3