Chapter 1

Jace's POV:

I set the basket of fruit in the wagon and move out of the way for my brother Jasper to set a crate of supplies that mother needs. He pats my back with a smile and we climb up onto the front then sit down while he grabs the reins.

"Let's get these items to momma before she takes our hinds again for messing around," Jasper announces making me chuckle and nod.

But before we can do anything a man in a major's uniform stops us. "Sorry to bother y'all. But you two look like strong young men and I would like to suggest you both in joining the army to protect those who can't protect themselves. Here's a flyer and look it over," the man announces with confidence and holds out a small flyer that I take with a nod.

"We will, sir. Have a good day," Jasper tells him and he nods before turning on his heel then walk away towards some other men.

I look down at the paper and bite my bottom lip in thought. "To be honest I've been thinking about signing up," Jasper spoke up and my eyes trail from the paper to him.

   "Really? So was I. Although I was planning on talkin to you about it," I respond folding the flyer and put it in my pocket.

   He nods with a hum, "well we are twins so great minds think alike." He winks making me shake my head with a chuckle.

We get to our home farm and Jasper steers Lucky our horse towards the stalls. "Woah, boy," he say pulling back on the reins and Lucky neighs before huffing.

I jump out of wagon and grab an apple from the basket then fed it to Lucky. "You spoil him," Jasper chuckles as he unstraps Lucky from the wagon.

I shrug while petting Lucky, "somebody's got too. Ya have to treat your animals like their your own kids. That's what make 'em loyal to ya. Huh, baby?" I coo softly at our black stallion who's too busy eatin his apple.

    "Yeah ok. Come on, boy," Jasper laughs slightly and gently pulls Lucky towards his stall, "in ya go, boy." He pats him on the butt before closing the gate and latching it.

I pick up the basket while Jasper gets the crate of supplies then we begin walking into our house. Our little sister Jasmine squeals when she sees us.

"Momma, the twins are back!" She exclaims happily, running towards us and I hold the basket in one hand before scooping her up and setting her on my hip.

   "Howdy, Jasmine," We say in sync making her giggle and take my cowboy hat off then set it on her head making my hair fall down a little from my shoulders.

"Jaycey your hair is growin," she comments and plays with my hair making me frown and nod while walking towards the kitchen.

"Yeah I know. I need to cut it again. Here you go, momma," I respond setting her down on a chair then set the basket on the counter.

Momma smiles at us and pecks our cheeks in thanks. "Thank you darlings. Baby why don't you go get my good clippers so I can cut your hair," she announces pulling out the fruit and setting them in our fruit bowl.

   "Ok momma," I respond walking towards momma's sowing room and grab the sharp scissors with an all black handles. Then I head back over to momma who's already standing behind a chair.

"Thank you, Jayce. Now take your shirt off, darling," she says grabbing the scissors that I handed to her and I nod before taking off my coat then began unbuttoning my shirt then set it on another chair leaving me in just a wrap that's coverin my breasts.

You see I was born a woman but with male parts and since we didn't know it at the time I classify as a man which I'm fine with. Momma and Papa came up with this idea about wrapping my chest so to the town I'm flat chested like a man. Plus it helps that I have small breasts.

It's better than being known as a freak of nature to the town plus it makes our lives easier. "It's not too tight right darlin," Momma questions touching the wrap and I shake my head with a smile.

"No, momma. It's fine. Don't worry," I respond gently smiling up at her making momma give me a loving smile before turning my head around so she can get started.

Jasmine looks at me with a grin which I return and watch as she switches her attention back to coloring a paper with a pencil. All families have secrets and this one is ours.

   But good thing is when we stay home and not go out, I can go without the wrap so I'm comfortable. "After Jace, can I get a trim too?" Jasper spoke up shrugging off his coat and setting it on the hanger along with mine.

  "Ya goin for us to look the same, Jasper?" I question with an eyebrow raised at him and he shrugs with a grin.

  "Well we are twins, Jace," he retorts making momma and I chuckle. She uses a comb and runs it through my hair gently while snipping some of my hair off.

   "You two are so much alike. No wonder y'all are twins. Alright, baby, you're done. Come on, Jasper," Momma announces and pats my shoulders before Jasper and I switch places.

   I dust off my shoulders of any hair before putting on my shirt then began buttoning it. "After this, can you both go to the Millers next door and help your Papa. He insists on doing it alone but you know how he is. Plus your Papa and Jason Miller could use some young strong help nowadays," Momma tells Jas and I making the both of us nod with a chuckle.

   "Of course, Momma," We say in sync grinning at Jasmine who started giggling at the fact Jasper and I spoke at the same time. Every time we do, she always giggles because she thinks it's funny.

I grab my coat and put it on then took my hat from Jasmine who sticks her tongue out at me and I respond back with my own making her giggle.

   I love to hear her giggle. Jasper and I always try to make her laugh nowadays because of how bad the war is goin. Speaking of the war how are we going to tell our parents about wanting to join the war?

Now that's a mystery. "Alright your done. Now off you both go. Go help your Papa," Momma announces bringing me out of my thoughts and I watch as Jasper dust himself off then put on his shirt.

  "Nice haircut I wonder how you thought of it," I tease making Jasper chuckle and put on his hat.

"Well, I got it from the same amazing woman you did. Did you give her a tip?" He responds tilting his head with a playful smile.

  I tap my chin in thought before grabbing momma who squeals and I spin her around gently. Distinctly I hear Jasmine laughing at us.

"Mm, thank you, Momma," I softly say as I stop and set her down. She giggles and pushes my shoulder gently.

"You're welcome, darlin," she says before squealing again as Jasper does the same thing I did.

"Alright, alright, you're both welcome. Now get those behinds out the house and go help your Papa," Momma laughs smacking Jasper's shoulder after he put her down.

  Jasper and I laugh. "Yes ma'am," we say in sync before tilting our hats a little and walked out of the house.

"When do you want to tell Momma and Papa about enlisting into the war?" I question softly as we walk across the grass towards our neighbors.

Jasper bites his bottom lip in thought before shrugging, "I say after supper when Jasmine goes to bed."

I nod, "sounds good. Plus this is grown up talk and Jasmine doesn't need to hear this yet." He agrees and pats my shoulder gently.

Hope you enjoy
Sorry for any mistakes
Comment and vote
Have a good day or night
Peace out ✌🏼