Chapter 9: Your New Best Friend!

Start from the beginning

"Uh ..." Adam shook his hand again, "you were introducing yourself. My name's Adam Peaks."

"You look a little shaken up there, dude. Shaken, not stirred and all that fun shit."

"Yeah, uh," Adam was released from the handshake, "sorry, I'm just not used to waking up to people in my bed."

"I won't read too much into that," Jake replied with a wink and then hopped off of the bed with startling grace.

"... how did you get into my room?" Adam asked timidly, "I locked the window."

"Camilla sent me! She told me to tell the nice lady downstairs that I'm your classmate so she'd invite me in, and she did! It was wild, normally people tell me to buzz off or go f-"

"Why did you need to be invited in?" Adam asked.

"The Covenant of Domain," Jake nodded solemnly, "a pact the Undying made with early humanity. We can't enter their houses without permission first. If we do, we'll be burned alive or something crazy like that."

"Wow ..." Adam blinked, "that's intense. I'll have to remember that the next time I hang out with Naomi. Sorry, I don't want to sound rude or anything, but why are you here? Camilla said that she was taking me to the-"

"The Living City!" Jake replied merrily, "yeah, Camilla said that she had some errands to run this morning, and I was to fetch you as a personal favour and, between you and me, she promised to get me a new sundial so I kinda have to do well on this assignment, mission, quest, er, thing! Besides ..." his cheery expression vanished, replaced with one of pure focus, "you'll need one of the Cursed to open the way."

"Cursed?" Adam frowned as he tried to remember, "oh, right! Camilla told me about you guys! You're the type of vamp- I mean, Undying with the powerful, crazy magic, right?"

Jake froze and Piggy ran from the bedside table, scurried up his leg, and came to rest in the hood of his sweater. He turned around slowly and eyed Adam up and down.

"Yes ... but that's ... that's not usually the first thing that people say when they describe one of The Cursed ..." he frowned.

"What?" Adam frowned at him as he gestured up and down at his body, "oh! Sorry, yeah. Camilla told me that the Cursed usually have, er, interesting physical-"

"We're deformed, Adam. Don't feel badly about saying it. We all know it, and most of us don't really care. It's something we learn to live with. I mean, it does make my day job as a male model difficult from time to time, but we all have our crosses to bear." He laughed and then slapped his leg, "alrighty Adam, go get ready! Shower, shave, do whatever it is you do; we're burning daylight, buddy!"

Adam stepped into the hall and did what Jake suggested, leaving him alone in the bedroom. He returned minutes later and noticed immediately that Jake was no longer sitting on his bed.

"Where'd he go?" Adam muttered out loud.

He sniffed the air instinctively and then glanced at his bedroom door, which was hanging wide open. He rushed out of his room and into the hallway. He stopped at the top of the stairs, looked around for signs of Jake, and then sped downstairs at breakneck speed. He paused at the bottom. Voices drifted from the kitchen, and he could hear Jake laughing. He walked slowly through the dining room to the kitchen where he saw his mother standing over a frying pan filled with scrambled eggs. Jake was sitting in a tall chair against the far wall, sipping on a cup of coffee and swinging his legs back and forth like a small child.

"... and that's how my father ended up with the grandfather clock!" Patricia finished her story and waved over at the large, ornate clock standing against the far wall, "hasn't needed a tuneup or a winding since we've had it, and it's working as well now as it was when my father first got it!"

"It's a very nice clock, Mrs. Peaks," Jake nodded enthusiastically, "I love the carvings on its body ... a little village with roads and tiny houses. Very detailed. A lot of love and time and care went into this clock."

"Yeah, we like it too, don't we, Adam?" Patricia looked up at her son with a smile.

"Yeah, it's great," he replied sarcastically.

"Your friend likes it," Patricia motioned to Jake, "at least he has good taste. When were you going to introduce me to him? He walked in this morning and said you were going to be late-"

"Sorry, mum. This is Jake, a new friend. Jake, this is my mum-"

"We've met. She makes eggs and has impeccable taste in art and music," Jake shovelled a forkful of egg into his mouth as he spoke, "oh, and she already knows that I'm your new best friend, so you can skip that part."

"I ... what?"

"I was just telling your new friend about your grandfather's grandfather clock," Patricia smiled, "I love telling that story, how he was given the clock by a strange man-"

"It's a happy clock."

They turned to see Jake closing his eyes, as if focusing on something just out of reach, "it's pleased with the house it's in, Mrs. Peaks. It says that the tree that gave its wood to make it would be proud to be in your home."

"Well ..." Patricia raised an eyebrow, "that's great! I've always loved that clock, so I'm glad it likes its home as much as we enjoy its company."

"It's a very good clock ..." he nodded again, "old too ..."

"Yeah ... hey, Jake?" Adam moved into the room fully, "wasn't there something we had to do today?"

"What? Oh, yeah!" He jumped down from the chair and winced as his feet slapped against the floor, "yeah, it totally slipped my mind, but I'm here to-"

"Take Adam to ... the ... special school?" Patricia's eyes glazed over slightly, "the special school for arts and ... and other things?"

"Excuse me?" He stared at her and then his eyes lit up with understanding, "ohhh, she's been enchanted! Cool! I mean, uh, yeah, I'm here to take Adam to the special school. He'll be back in a little while, and don't worry about him not bringing a backpack and things ... this'll all be a jumbled mess in your memories anyways. You've been incredibly kind, and I enjoyed chatting with you, but we really must be leaving!"

"Oh?" Patricia blinked the magic from her vision, "are you sure you can't stay for some breakfast? Adam, do you want some eggs before you go ... go to ... the ... school?"

"No time!" Jake cried out as he finished his own plate of eggs and scurried out of the kitchen, "thank you for talking with me! We've gotta get going to the genius school or whatever it's supposed to be. Come on, Adam! Put some eggs in a bag or something, but whatever you do, hurry the hell up, pal!"

Patricia grabbed Adam's arm as he tried to leave the kitchen, "your new friend Jake is a bit ... odd, but he seems like a good-natured young man. He's polite and listens, unlike some people I know ..." her eyes glazed over again and her speech became soft and slurred, "have a good day at school, Adam." She snapped out of her reverie and regained her natural bubbliness, "I'm so very proud of you!" She pulled him into a long hug, and released him with a sigh, "have a good day and try to look on the bright side of things, okay? I love you."

"I'll try to," he smiled, "I love you too."

"Alright, well go ahead or else you'll be late," she shooed him out of her kitchen.

Adam strolled out of the kitchen and entered the front hall. He pulled shoes onto his feet and then ripped open his front door. Jake was standing outside in the shade of his front porch. Piggy watched Adam curiously while sitting on his shoulder.

"Hey Adam!" Jake grinned, "are you ready?"

"That depends ... ready for what?"

Jake winked, "the first day of the rest of your life!"

Adam looked out at the street beyond and for an instant it appeared to him as a long, winding path amid a forest of brick buildings. He took a deep breath and nodded.

It was time to take a few more steps on the Path and for once in his life, he was ready.