Chapter 1 - Pulled Papers

Emily's POV
10 years ago
"You did what?!" I shouted angrily. My father flushed red in anger.

"I pulled your papers! It's too dangerous for you to become a fighter pilot for the Navy!" My dad replied. I shook my head.

"You don't know that! I can protect myself! I should know what I'm doing! You're the legendary Maverick! You taught me everything I know!"

"I don't care! It's better this way!"

"No it's not! And why did you pull Bradley's papers?! He deserves to be a pilot! What's wrong with him being just like his father?!" I asked. My father sighed.

"That's why I don't want him to be a pilot. Because of his father. I made a promise to Bradley's mother before she died that I would make sure that he didn't become a pilot like his dad. Carole doesn't want Bradley to meet the same fate as Nick did and I can't say I blame her. When I made that promise, it got me thinking about you and I don't want you to get hurt or worse either," he explained. I scoffed.

"So, ultimately, you think I'm not good enough to be a pilot. Is that it?! You think that I'm gonna get killed out there because I won't know what I'm doing! The same goes for Bradley apparently!"

"That's just not it. I know that both of you are fully capable of being great pilots, but that's what could get you killed. The best pilots are given the hardest missions. How do you think Nick Bradshaw died?" My dad argued. I rolled my eyes.

"But there's no guarantee that either of us will suffer the same fate! You can't just destroy people's dreams because of a fear that you have! That's just not right!"

"If you don't like it, then maybe you should just leave!" My dad snapped. My eyes grew wide and tears spilled down my cheeks.

"Fine! I will! At this point, I don't even consider you my dad! I don't want to ever talk to you again!" I shouted as I walked out the door, slamming it in my dad's face.

I got in my car and drove to Bradley's house. He was the only one who I really wanted to talk to right now.

When I knocked on his door, he answered, looking a little surprised to see me at the door.

"Emily, hi. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be shipping off to the Navy by now?"

"No. My dad pulled my papers from the academy. I heard that he pulled yours too. I don't even want to talk to him anymore," I explained, tears starting to spill down my cheeks again. Bradley sighed and let me inside the house.

"I'm so sorry, Emily. I can't believe he pulled yours too. I guess we are both stuck here," he said as he handed me a beer from his fridge and we sat down at the kitchen table together. I shook my head.

"I don't care what my dad says or does. I'm still going to pursue my dream. No matter what it takes," I said. Bradley smiled.

"Now that's the Emily I know and love," He said. I smiled.

"I'm guessing that you're going to still pursue your dream too?"

"Of course. No offense, but I'm not gonna let your dad be the reason why I don't become a pilot," Bradley replied with a shrug. I shrugged.

"None taken," I replied. I snickered as I looked at Bradley more closely. He frowned.

"What?"

"I can see that you're trying to grow that mustache you were always talking about," I teased with a smirk. Bradley rolled his eyes.

"Yeah I'm trying. You like it?" He asked. I laughed.

"It's coming in nicely. You'll look just like your dad did when he was in the Navy,"

"That's what I was going for," Bradley replied. I nodded.

"I figured so," I muttered. I then looked at my watch and sighed. "Can I stay here for a couple of days? I was living with my dad, but I'm not really in the mood to stay there anymore,"

"Sure. Do want to head over to pick up a few of your things?" Bradley asked. I shook my head.

"Not today. I'll wait till tomorrow. My dad is working tomorrow so I won't have to worry about seeing him,"

"Sure. That's fine. I'll go get the extra room all set up for you then,"

Bradley left the room and I sat back in my chair, playing with my beer bottle. I was so angry at my father for crushing my dream. I just wanted to be like him and apparently he didn't want that to happen, but I didn't care. I was going to become a fighter pilot whether he liked it or not.

*

Later on that night when I was going to take a shower, I noticed that Bradley had left one of his t-shirts along with a pair of shorts for me to change into after I showered.

I came down the stairs and into Bradley's living room after my shower, his oversized Navy t-shirt covering up the shorts I was wearing. Bradley smiled when he saw me.

"I thought I'd leave you some clothes since you left all of yours at home," he said with a shrug. I smiled.

"Thank you. That was very sweet,"

I walked towards Bradley and gave him a hug.

"Thanks again for allowing me to stay here for a little while," I said with a smile. Bradley nodded.

"Of course. What are friends for," he replied. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Good night, Bradley."

"Good night, Emily."