𝟏𝟒 | 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐩𝐡𝐲𝐫𝐚𝐮𝐬

Začít od začátku

Pivoting on her heels, On-Jo sets a brisk pace toward her destination, sparing no second glimpses back as she cautiously descends the steep slopes, hands in her pockets and head lowered.

Her petite form begins to shrink into obscurity.

"I can't let her go alone."

"And I can't let you go alone, either."

You're about to retort when Su-Hyeok's expression silences you. His eyes alone reveal how extremely worried he still is, brown orbs flitting back and forth between your own.

Nam-Ra walks up beside you then, and voices softly, "I'm going to keep all of you safe. Let's go." She regards On-Jo's retreating back. "The sooner we leave, the sooner we can return."

"Don't you know three's a crowd, Nam-Ra?" Su-Hyeok teases, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"Exactly, so butt out, Bare-Su." Nam-Ra links her arm through yours and pulls you along, following in the path On-Jo took mere moments ago. "Two's company and mine is better," she mocks, and that makes you smile for the first time in a while.

Su-Hyeok gapes after her remark, too stunned to speak, before Dae-Su draws his attention.

"I'm coming with."

"No, your leg is badly hurt." Su-Hyeok points at the gnarly gash in Dae-Su's leg where blood is seeping through, the red stain more visible against his light-colored pants. "We won't be long."

By the time Su-Hyeok meets up with you, On-Jo, and Nam-Ra, the three of you have already made your way up a considerable distance on the now-charred steps and soot-covered remains of the construction zone.

You and Nam-Ra keep your distance as On-Jo ambles to the middle of the foundation, staring off into the distance, looking smaller than ever. Her white jacket now having taken on a beige hue is a stark contrast to the blackened rubble surrounding her.

"Cheong-San!" On-Jo's screams echo of the barren walls. "Yah! Lee Cheong-San!" Her next words die out at the back of her throat, the inflection all warbled and wavering against a new onslaught of tears. "You promised we'd talk about it tomorrow, yesterday. The sun is up now, so stop playing around and come out here! Let's talk." On-Jo cries louder, almost hysterical. "I want to see you..."

Su-Hyeok lingers in the background, staying alert and on guard, afraid the sudden commotion in the desolate area would draw unwanted dangerous attention.

The fresh wound in your heart feels like it's being torn open again, riding on the wave of strong emotions no less than On-Jo's. You take tentative steps forward and wrap her shaking form into a hug, tears automatically spilling over once more as she buries her head into your shoulder and sobs.

Nam-Ra comes over soon after and embraces both of you, her arms stretching to encircle around both you and On-Jo. "We should leave. I don't sense anything and that means no one's here. Why don't we say our goodbyes to Cheong-San first?"

Neither you nor On-Jo can force yourself to speak up, the thought of this as the end so tragic and heartbreaking, though you two are fully aware of being one denial away from acceptance.

Eventually, Nam-Ra is able to coax you and On-Jo away. The longer you linger, the harder it is to leave, even though it was the sole thing you had wished for at the start of this dilemma.

How ironic.

You were dying to live.

And now, you're living as though you're dying.

Upon regrouping, Dae-Su's leg is progressively getting worse, Su-Hyeok and Wu-Jin lending him their shoulders for balance as he can only bear weight on the opposite one, their movement and speed marginally slower.