Epilogue

Months passed, and life for you got better. You recovered from taking on the Karmic Debt, although, Xiao was even more protective of you during this recovery than he'd been during your first one. He stayed by you the entire time, making sure you felt totally comfortable.

All the spirits you'd accidentally gathered were taken care of by Cloud Retainer's student, Shenhe, and an exorcist named Chongyun. You still felt a little bad for causing so much trouble, but luckily, most of them had been in one area, so they hadn't been too difficult to clear up. You would have insisted on helping out, if you hadn't already been in a delicate state after fighting off the souls of the deceased gods.

Of course, you and Xiao stuck together, even closer than you'd been before you came into his dreams. You started getting more used to the terrain of modern Liyue, and found that it had actually become a very beautiful place. Your favorite areas to visit were Dihua Marsh and Guili Plains, enjoying the nostalgia around them but also appreciating how they'd changed with time.

You often visited Guizhong's grave now that you knew how to find it, which still stood in the plains. You made sure to bring her a fresh bouquet of Glaze Lillies every time you came by.

Not only had the landscape of Liyue changed, but so too had the people, culture, and customs. Today, you were celebrating the Lantern Rite, a festival you'd learned about through Ganyu, Cloud Retainer's other student, who was a half-Adeptus. You'd always wanted to see it, and it would be even better with your lover at your side.

You had gone to visit the crane Adeptus herself earlier, along with Moon Carver and Mountain Shaper, like you always did on special occasions (or if you just missed them). When you'd arrived, they had been fighting over some childish debate, just like you'd always found them back when they were still your students.

When they saw you, though, they'd stopped arguing, and you had been able to enjoy some tea with them in peace.

Now, you sat on the roof of Wangshu Inn with Xiao, watching the lanterns from afar. You didn't mind not seeing the display up close, despite your fascination with the mortals of Liyue, if it meant being in each other's embrace.

Plus, you'd gone to see the Mingxiao lantern earlier, as it was. In fact, this year's festival was celebrating you, the Mist Flower who fell during the Archon War. You suspected Ganyu may have had something to do with that choice, and were thankful to have been recognized.

The mortals weren't aware that you'd returned yet, and you were flattered that anyone even remembered your contribution. From the few history books you'd read, you hadn't exactly been mentioned much. The lantern was made to look like a big Mist Flower, with icy blue petals and snowflakes etched into the corolla, and you had to admit, the people making it had done a wonderful job. It was beautiful.

It had taken your breath away when you watched it being set off into the sky, and you loved hearing the humans' wishes to you as it flew.

'I wish for mora,' Some had said. 'I wish for love,' 'I wish for happiness,' 'I wish my friend would stop spending all my mora.' You enjoyed those small glimpses into their lives, even if it was only to ask for your assistance.

You and Xiao stayed on the roof even long after the lantern display was over. He'd made no move to leave, and you didn't exactly want to, either. After everything the two of you had faced, you were content just to be in one another's arms.

Eventually, a small grey cat jumped up to where you both were lying, rubbing his head on your arm.

"Hey, Minty," you smiled, petting his head gently as he made his way to the space between you, where he plopped down and made himself comfortable. "Did you have fun playing with Ms. Goldet's cat?"

"Terrorizing it sounds more accurate," Xiao replied, patting the cat's head, "He's too old to run around like Mint always wants to."

"Ah, he loves it." You waved a hand dismissively, remembering how you'd once caught the two cats curled up next to one another.

Originally, you'd been worried about getting a cat when both you and Xiao lived in the inn, afraid he wouldn't enjoy life in such a place. But once you'd adopted Mint, whom Xiao decided to name, he'd proved you wrong by making friends with Verr Goldet's cat, as well as every guest that arrived. He was very sociable, and for that, you were thankful.

Turning your gaze to the sky, you looked up at the stars, where your constellation gleamed next to Xiao's, as it always did. They were both equally bright now, and you felt relieved at the sight.

"Y/n," Xiao spoke up, pulling you from your thoughts. You turned to him, showing that you were listening. "Thank you."

"Huh? What for?" You asked as he took your hand, placing a light kiss on your knuckles.

"Everything," The Yaksha finally replied, eyes meeting yours, "Because of you, I'm the happiest I've ever been, and the pain I thought I'd never live without it a distant memory." Your expression softened at his sincerity.

You hadn't set out with the intent of destroying his Karmic Debt; you hadn't even known it would be possible! But as you looked into his eyes now, seeing all the love and happiness he held in them, you knew it had all been worth it.

"I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose you," you replied with a chuckle, "But it was nothing. I'd do it all again if I had to."

"I love you, Y/n." He finally whispered, and in that moment, you knew you were right where you belonged. Everything would be okay now that the two of you were okay. Maybe life really was a dream, but this felt even better than a dream.

"I love you too, Xiao."