Recollection pt. 1

Toph sat and listened as Zuko explained his journey, starting with his banishment and ending with his separation from his uncle. She couldn't help but ask questions while he was talking, becoming more and more shocked that Scruffy was still alive.

..........

"So you're telling me you were banished by the Fire Lord when you were thirteen. And the only way you were allowed to return home was to capture the avatar."

What the hell? I knew the Fire Lord was a dick but that's just messed up. He probably got lucky that he wasn't killed. I guess he is a noble, maybe his dad had some say in it. From what he's told me though his dad doesn't seem to care about him, so maybe not.

Zuko huffed at the interruption. "Yes, I was told that I had lost my honor, and the only way I could restore it was to capture the avatar. Restoring my honor was the condition for me to return home."

He was hoping she wouldn't pry too deep into his story. He didn't want to tell her how he had tried to defend a group of soldiers and was punished for it. He especially didn't want her to know the person that burned and banished him was his father.

Toph looked confused, "Honor? What does that have to do with capturing the avatar?"

He sighed, partly in relief that she didn't ask why he was banished, and partly in dread, knowing it would be hard to answer without getting into specifics.

"The Fire Nation believes that a person's honor is essential to them. We consider it as important as one's life. If someone loses their honor, they lose their livelihood. Losing my honor meant I had lost everything connected to my life, like my title or any right I had to my inheritance."

Toph frowned at the idea of honor. It was hard to wrap her head around it.

I thought that honor was about doing the right thing. Scruffy's making it sound like he was punished for doing something dishonorable. I can't imagine Scruffy doing anything wrong enough to warrant being banished though.

She wanted to ask him why he was banished but knew he wouldn't answer. She decided to let it go, figuring that he would tell her when he was ready. There was one thing she wanted to make sure about though.

Scruffy believed he was weak because his father told him so, I don't want him to think he lost his honor or whatever just because the Fire Lord said so.

"Do you think you lost your honor?" She asked, hoping he would surprise her and say no.

He was silent for a while before answering, "I don't know. That's why I need to find my uncle. I want him to help me understand if I lost it or not."

She nodded, that was a better answer than she thought he was going to give. It sucked that she couldn't help him, but she didn't know the full story.

I'll just have to hope that this uncle of his isn't going to brainwash him as his dad did. He seems to have faith in him so it should be fine. Besides, if his uncle is lying to him I'll just bury him and help Scruffy figure it out myself.

.........

"Your uncle stayed with you for your entire banishment?" Toph asked in a soft voice.

Zuko looked down, remembering his uncle, "Yeah he did. He's always been patient with me, even when I lashed out at him in anger. He's practically raised me these last three years but I was too stupid to see it." He felt ashamed at how he treated his uncle, he just hoped he would get the chance to make it up to him.

Toph smiled, Looks like Scruffy did have someone who loved him. That's good. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through all of that alone. Maybe I won't have to bury this guy after all.