"After that, there was nothing to do but let you play out your little scenario. And you were very good, with the love-crazed boy bit. The people in the Capitol were quite convinced... Unfortunately, not everyone in the districts fell for your little act," President Nezu said.

(M/N)'s face registered a flicker of bewilderment, which the President caught on to.

"You aren't supposed to know this, but in several of them, people viewed your little trick with the berries as an act of defiance, not an act of love. And if a boy from District Twelve of all places can defy the Capitol and walk away unharmed, what is to stop them from doing the same?" he said. "What is to prevent, say, an uprising?"

It took a moment for his last sentence to sink in. Then the full weight of it hit (M/N). "There have been uprisings?" he asked, both chilled and somewhat elated by the possibility.

"Not yet. But they'll follow if the course of things doesn't change. And uprisings have been known to lead to revolution. Then in a fraction of a second the whole system collapses."

(M/N) didn't know how he dared to speak his next words, but he did. "It must be a fragile system if it can be brought down by just a few berries."

President Nezu hummed. "Yes, it is indeed. But not in the way you would imagine it."

"How should I imagine it?" (M/N) asked.

The light air surrounding the President instantly dropped, and (M/N) knew everything he was about to say was personally directed at him. "You should imagine thousands upon thousands of your people dead. This town of yours reduced to rubble, buried under ash, gone as if it had never existed just like District Thirteen." (M/N) kept a neutral face, not wanting to let any emotions break out as the President regained the "lightheartedness" around him. Well, not that it was really that, but it was still better than the direct threat he'd just thrown at the boy. "You fought very hard in the Games, Mr (L/N). But those were just Games. Would you like to be in a real war?"

"No," (M/N) answered almost immediately.

President Nezu smiled. "Good. Neither would I."

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and the Capitol man stuck his head in. "His mother wants to know if you want tea."

"I would. I would like some tea," President Nezu said. The door opened wider to reveal (M/N)'s mother, holding a tray with a china tea set. "Set it here, please." He placed his book on the corner of the desk and pat the centre.

(M/N)'s mother set the tray on the desk. It held a china teapot and cups, cream and sugar, and a plate of cookies. They were beautifully iced with softly coloured flowers. The frosting work could only be Katsuki's.

"What a welcome sight. You know, it's funny how often people forget that presidents need to eat, too," President Nezu said charmingly.

"Can I get you anything else? I can cook something more substantial if you're hungry," (M/N)'s mother offered.

"No, this could not be more perfect. Thank you," the President said, clearly dismissing her. (M/N)'s mother gave a nod, shot (M/N) a glance, and then left. President Nezu poured tea for the two of them and filled his with cream and sugar.

"Did your mother make these?" he said as he picked up a cookie, inspecting it.

"Katsuki," (M/N) said. And for the first time, he couldn't hold his gaze.

"Katsuki. How is the love of your life?" President Nezu asked.

"Good," (M/N) said.

"Tell me. At what point did he realise the exact degree of your indifference?" the President asked, dipping his cookie in his tea.