Chapter Four

"Nevermore was founded in 1791 to educate people like us outcast, freaks, monsters, fill in your favorite marginalized group here." Enid says to us.

"You can save the sanitized sale pitch." Wednesday says and I elbow her side and she just looks at me then returns her gaze to Enid.

"We don't plan on staying here for long." Wednesday continues. "Why not?" Enid asks. "It was our parents idea." I say.

"Oh look, there's our mother smirking at us." Wednesday says look at me then looking back at the photo of our mother. It's not a bad photo, mother looks pretty in it.

"They've been looking for any excuse to send us here." I say, "it's all a part of their nefarious yet completely obvious plan." Wednesday says.

"What plan?" Enid asks excitedly "to turn us into a version of themselves." Wednesday says.

"In that case perhaps you guys can clear something up. Rumors been swirling around that you killed a kid at your old school and your parents pulled strings to get you off" Enid says nervously.

"Actually." I started, "it was two kids, but who's counting?" Wednesday continues and we walk outside.

"Welcome to the quad." Enid introduces, "it's a pentagon." Wednesday says and Enid looks at her then me and I just shrug.

"The whole snarky goth girl thing might have worked at normie school, but here things are different. Let me give you a wiki on nevermore social scene." Enid says and we begin to walk around the quad.

"I'm not interested in participating in tribal adolescent chichés." Wednesday says. "Well, then use it to fill your obviously bottomless pit of disdain." Enid say and my eyes widen as I try not to laugh at what she said.

    Wednesday turns to me but turns back. "There are many flavors of outcasts here, but the four main cliques are fangs, furs, stoners and scales." Enid says.

"Those are the Fangs AKA vampires. Some of them have literally been here for decades. That bunch of knuckleheads are Furs, AKA werewolf's  like me. Full moons get pretty loud around here. That's when furs wolf out, i suggest you pick up noise canceling headphones." pointing them out in the court.

    "I'm assuming scales are sirens." Me and Wednesday say, "you guys catch on quick. And that girl, Bianca Barclay, is the closest thing nevermore has to royalty." Enid says as she looks at Bianca.

   "Although her crowns been slipping lately, she use to date our resident tortured artist, Xavier Thorpe." Enid continues the points to who I assume is Xavier who Is cute.

     "But they broke up at the begin of the semester, reason unknown." Enid says , "fascinating". Me and Wednesday's say. "I know, right? My vlog is, like, the number one source of nevermore gossip." Enid says.

"Yo, Enid." Someone says which causes us to turn to them. "You're not gonna believe the dirt I heard about your new roommates! They eats human flesh! Totally chowed down on the kid they murdered. you better watch your back." A tall boy with a beanie says.

Then Enid moves out the way to reveal us and the boy face turns to shock. "Quite the contrary." I say "we actually fillet the bodies of our victims, then feed them to my menagerie of pets." Wednesday says.

"Ajax, this is my new roommates, Monday and Wednesday." Enid introduces us. "Whoa, you're in black and white like a living instagram filter." Ajax says.

"Ignore him. Gorgons spends way too much time getting stoned " Enid says as Ajax walks away. "He's cute, but clueless. You know it's a small school. There wasn't much online about you guys. You should really get on Insta, Snapchat, and TikTok." Enid says and I nod.

"I find social media to be a soul-sucking void of meaningless affirmation." Wednesday says and walks away as i stand there with Enid.

"Can you show me how to use social media once I say good bye to my family?" I ask. "Sure!" Enid says excitedly. I nod and run and catch up to Wednesday.

"She not bad." I say, "she's ok." Wednesday says as we see our parents and pugsley. "Look at you, my little death traps." Father says walk over to us.

"Seeing you in this uniform brings back so many terrible memories." Father says pulling us into a side hug. "Doesn't it, tish." Father says as he looks at mother who is smiling. "Yes, why don't you boys wait in the car?" Mother says.

"The girls and I need a moment." Mother continues, father then leaves us and pugsley comes over and hugs us. "Pugsley, your soft and weak, you'll never survive without us." Wednesday says. "I give you two months, tops." I say with a smile, "I'm going to miss you too, sis." Pugsley says and walks away sadly and gets in the car with dad.

"Any plans you girls have of running away end it right now. I've alerted all family members to contact me the minute you darken their doorstep. You have nowhere to go" Mother says.

"As usual, you underestimate us, mother. We will escape this educational penitentiary and you will never hear from us again."Wednesday says which causes mom to sigh.

"You are brilliant girls, but some times you get in your own way. I'm sure you'll grow to love nevermore, and find it as life-changing as I did. oh I got you girls a little something." Mother says as she lifts a pair of necklace at the last part.

"W. M. Our initials, it's made from obsidian which Aztec priests used to conjure visions. It's a symbol of our connections." Mother says with a smile and hands us the necklaces.

"Which one of your spirits suggested this toe-curling tchotchke? I'm not you, mother" Wednesday says which causes mothers smile to disappear.

"I will never fall in love, or be a housewife, or have a family." Wednesday says. "I'm told girls your age say hurtful things, and I shouldn't take it to heart." Mother says. "Fortunately, you don't have one." Wednesday says.

   "Finally, a kind word for your mother, lurch, the crystal ball, please?" Mother says with a smile and lurch hands her a bag.

    "Now we can't talk to you for the first week while your settling in, so we'll call you next Sunday" mother says and then walks away after a second and gets back into the car.

      I watch as the car drives away and me and Wednesday return to our dorm.