5 ~ A n n a

Flashback ~ December 28, 2010

I, Anna Blake, am not a criminal. Nor will I ever be one. Criminals do bad things for bad reasons and break the law, whether or not they really need to. I'm not the kind of person to do something wrong, just for the hell of it.  I am not the kind to hurt someone else for my own needs.

I don't go on red lights.

I don't litter.

I never imagined that I would end up on the run, from both the cops and the murderer. I never thought that everyone I'd ever known, or trusted for that matter, would turn against me because of the accusations on the news. Because of the fingers pointing in my direction, or the ten-thousand-dollar reward for my arrest.

I never realized that running from your past, even from the police, isn't the same thing as being a criminal. It isn't the same as avoiding the punishment for the guilt you don't feel. It takes time to fall into place.

After a day, you want to cry.

After a week, you want to turn yourself in.

After that, you become the criminal. You give in to what they are saying because you've lost yourself. You don't look back. It's like you're a whole new person, and you don't even notice it until it's too late to go home again.