Chapter Fifty-Five

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes at both the men and snapped, "Okay, boys. That's enough willy waggling. Put your dicks away. This isn't helping."

Rayne released Casper and said disapprovingly, "Dicks, turds and willies - the great vampire court has really gone to the dogs."

Casper rubbed at his throat and made a funny snarling noise in response.

These two really hated each other.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked Rayne.

"News of your latest kill has reached Hell, so naturally, I wanted to come and congratulate you," Rayne explained. "It seems your powers are awakening."

"I wouldn't say that. I spent the last hour trying to get my powers to awaken by letting Nico chase me with a sword. Nothing happened. No great power manifested itself," I replied, unable to hide my frustration.

"You're not like other vampires, Sophie. You're not basic," Rayne said, shooting Casper a filthy stare.

"I know. That's why we are going to talk to Luc. His power is different, like mine. He might be able to help," I said.

A glimmer of something flickered across Rayne's eyes. It was there for a moment and then gone.

"I think it might be best for me to come with you to visit Luc," Rayne said.

"Absolutely not," Casper said.

"Why not? I could protect you both," Rayne suggested.

"Like I said, you are an unwanted turd," Casper replied.

I threw my hands up in exasperation and sighed, "Rayne can come. I'm sure he will be helpful."

Casper's mouth tightened into a thin line as he grumbled, "Fine, but you better stick to the shadows. Luc would destroy you if he knew a demon was in the same room as his wife."

"I shall be like a fly on the wall," Rayne replied.

We walked down a dark corridor that stank of dame and decay. I could feel Luc's darkness filling the atmosphere, making breathing the air heavy and thick. I walked closer to Casper - not because I was scared of Luc, but because I wanted to feel Casper's sunshine, easy breezy energy surrounding me and lifting me up with love.

We came to the room where Mia lay unconscious. Casper opened the door, and we saw Luc lying on the bed next to Mia with his body protectively cradling hers. He didn't acknowledge our entrance into the room. Instead, he lay with his eyes shut, touching his forehead against Mia's.

"Luc," Casper said softly.

Luv did not stir.

"I need to talk to you about something. Could you please listen?" Casper asked.

Still nothing.

I dropped Casper's hand and walked up to the bed. Mia was laid out like Sleeping Beauty, while Luc was lying next to her like the mad prince who couldn't get her to wake up. His

"I know how to save Mia," I said.

Luc lifted his head and looked at me with dead eyes filled with hopelessness and despair.

"You need to get up and help me," I told him.

"How?" he asked.

"Her body is here, but her spirit is being held prisoner somewhere in these mountains," I replied.

"Tell me where she is, and I will lay her captors to ash and bone," he said, sitting up with black fire in his eyes. The walls around us cried out in pain as he got to his feet and staggered towards me, "I will bathe our enemies in fire and despair. I will-,"