Chapter 2

"... And an iced latte, please."

Kai scribbled the order on his notepad. He smiled at the customers, letting them know their drinks would be ready as soon as possible, then returned to the coffee machines behind the counter. His eyes couldn't help but glance at the clock on the wall every so often while he worked.

Fifteen minutes... He counted the remaining time until the end of his shift.

Once Kai was done with this order, he'd give a quick wipe to some of the empty tables and head to the locker room to get changed and ready for his date. His 'first date' with Zane —who was not his boyfriend yet.

Kai giggled to himself as he remembered his conversations with the boy over the past few days. For not understanding Kai's need for this 'game', Zane sure proved to be attentive, and attempted to deliver his end of the deal to the best of his abilities.

Ever since they agreed to go on a 'fake first date', Zane bombarded Kai with questions to... have a better understanding of his character, as he'd put it.

He asked Kai so many things; When did they meet and how? Who asked who out? Who would plan the date? At which stage of infatuation were they supposed to be? What things did they know and not know about each other? He even asked what the dress code was!

It had been both adorable and irritating. A vague and general idea would have sufficed for Kai, but of course, someone as careful and methodical as Zane needed as many details as he could gather to deliver a convincing and natural performance —his words once again.

After discussing everything at great length, Kai reminded Zane that they were not supposed to act but be themselves; or better put, their 'other selves'. They had enough room for improvisation.

Kai admitted he wanted to drop the issue a couple of times, feeling like he was asking Zane too much nonsense. Nevertheless, his boyfriend insisted he wanted to go through with it, no matter how complex the preparations were. It would only make the result feel a lot more rewarding.

The barista rushed to finish his tasks on time. Once there were no dirty cups lying around the counter, and all customers were served, he peeped his head into the staff room.

"Hey, boss," Kai called for the old woman sitting in front of a desk, taking care of some paperwork.

She lifted her gaze and smiled at him. "Is it time already?"

Kai nodded, although he tried to mask how eager he was to get out of the shop that afternoon.

She got up from the chair and put on her apron to switch places with her employee.

"I wanted to thank you again for letting me leave sooner," Kai said.

"You've been taking so many double shifts lately, it's the least I could do."

He might not grow rich working at this small business, but he was grateful to be under the orders of such a tender woman.

Kai flew towards the locker room and changed his clothes as fast as lightning.

When Zane had first asked for a dress code, Kai burst out laughing. But the more he discussed the details with the boy, he realized he was also putting some thought into his own choice. After all, they were trying to mimic how their first date would have been like.

Kai realized that while he had always been natural towards Zane, he was a little extra when he wanted to impress someone with his looks. When he questioned himself about what he would have worn on their first date, the answer came to him easily.