Chapter 19: A Song

Start from the beginning

Adrien choked down a laugh. "Can I stay too?"

"If you'd like."

He curled up next to her, reminding her of a cat. Plagg rested near his head. Duusu settled on her chest as she lay beside him. Gabriel's hand remained securely around her wrist.

When she was almost asleep, she thought she heard Adrien whisper, "Goodnight, Mom."

Chloé didn't know how many people she'd bribed, but she finally had an idea of where to find Volpina.

But what she didn't know was how or why her mother had shown up.

"Mom, what are you doing here? Weren't you on a trip? Did you follow me?"

"Clara, I came because I wanted to speak to Gabriel."

Chloé blinked. "Gabriel Agreste?" she clarified. So her mother could remember his name, but not her own daughter's? "Why? And what makes you think I know where he is?"

"You're looking for Volpina, right? So is he, from what I've heard. And I know where she is." Audrey sighed. "I'm hoping to apologize to Gabriel. We didn't part on the best of terms."

Her mother wanted to apologize? That was a first.

"It's not going to be an easy trip," Chloé warned her. Even she'd thought of turning back more times than she could count. How she longed to be back in her bed with her stuffed bear, Mr. Cuddly. Not that she would tell anyone that. Besides, more than anything, she wanted to get rid of Volpina.

"Don't worry about me, Casserole. And I know a shortcut."

The song was still ringing through Gabriel's head when he woke with the sunrise. It was the same one Emilie had sung to Adrien, but the one he'd heard in his dream was a bit different.

Looking to his left, he decided that it perhaps hadn't been a dream as he saw Nathalie and his son. Both were fast asleep next to him.

It had been her singing, he was certain.

As he sat up, he noticed that he was holding her wrist. He had no recollection of doing so.

With a brief moment of hesitation, he stood and made his way to the shore.

He had a lot to think about.

The group spent a few more days in a similar manner, traveling until sunset and spending the nights above the water. There were no more mishaps.

Now, Gabriel's eyes narrowed. Two forms were approaching that looked suspiciously like mermaids.

"Is that . . ?" Marinette asked.

"No way . . ." Alya said.

"Chloé?" Marinette exclaimed. "What on earth are you doing here?"

Gabriel, however, was more concerned about the woman next to her.

"Audrey," he practically snarled. "Give me one good reason I shouldn't kill you now!"

"Whoa, calm down, Dad," Adrien said, grabbing his arm. He looked at Chloé. "It's nice to see you again, Chloé."

Chloé looked shocked that he was even speaking to her.