Chapter 14: Saying Goodbye

"Thank you for everything, Captain."

"Of course, matey. Though this has certainly been one of the more eventful voyages I've taken. I'll remember it for a long time."

Gabriel dropped a small bag into her hand. She peeked inside, eyes widening. "The pirate in me would take this without hesitation, but this is more than we agreed on, Mr. Agreste."

"Consider it compensation for having to deal with our unique circumstances."

"Thank you very much," Anarka replied. "I wish you all the best of luck." She bid them goodbye, walking back up the ramp of her ship.

Meanwhile, Luka put a hand on Marinette's shoulder. "Safe travels, Marinette. I hope everything works out between you and Adrien."

"Thank you, Luka." She hugged him. "I hope you find someone special too."

Pulling back, she could clearly see in his eyes that she was that special someone. Luka planted a small kiss on her cheek, stepping away to say goodbye to the others.

Marinette watched him, cheeks pink and a smile on her face.

"One more thing!" Anarka called from the top of the ramp. "This port has a reputation for supernatural activity, so keep your guard up. We'll be back here in a week, so if you're here by then, you can catch a ride home."

"Thank you," Nathalie told her as Luka joined his mother and sister. He and Juleka waved, Anarka already barking orders to her crew.

"So, what's the plan now?" Adrien asked.

"We find a place to stay for the night. We can leave first thing tomorrow," Gabriel said. "Luckily, I think I have a friend who can help us."

He began walking down the dock. Once he was out of earshot, Adrien whispered, "Father has friends?"

His own friends stifled their laughter. Nathalie turned and gave him a look, making it obvious that she'd heard.

Adrien smiled sheepishly before jogging to catch up with his father. "What's your friend's name?"

"Tomoe Tsurugi."

"Like the fencing champion?" Adrien asked in surprise.

"Yes, she's been living here for the past few years with her daughter."

"I can't believe you know Tomoe Tsurugi! How did you two meet?"

"We knew each other as children. She's from Japan, but she would often spend her summers in a house close to ours."

"Were you two ever more than friends?"

Gabriel raised an eyebrow, his expression reminding Adrien of the one he'd received from Nathalie moments ago. "No, Adrien. Why do you keep asking me questions like that?"

"No reason." Adrien was quietly relieved. He turned around to look at Nathalie. "Did you know this too?"

"That your father is friends with Tomoe Tsurugi? Yes."

"Why did no one tell me, then? I've always admired her, ever since I was little. She's a world-renowned fencer."

"I suppose it never crossed my mind to tell you," Gabriel said.

A cold breeze blew between the buildings, creating an eerie howling sound. Unconsciously, the group moved closer together.

"Uh, guys? Does anyone know what the captain meant when she said supernatural things happen around here?" Alya asked quietly.