CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT.

Elly couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned for hours after departing the mess hall after dinner was served. But she just couldn't sleep. Her cluttered thoughts dug at her temples and they were not even relieved by meditation which she had attempted to fall into. She wasn't sure what made her so restless but she was.

Maybe it was the thoughts of Obi-Wan that swirled around her head constantly or the knowledge that if she became useless, she could be discarded easily by the Council. But something made it hard for her mind to stay quiet. It was exhausting and she only knew one way to truly help on nights like these.

She spent much of her youth sleepless and training was all that had fixed it.

She had suffered after she had come off active duty. The sleepless nights became frequent and she had no outlet for it any longer. Her lightsaber had been hung up and she never intended to pick it up again but now, she was here. And the familiar call of training to tire her out was strong.

So, with some reluctance, she got up. She changed into her training robes and slipped her cloak on. She picked up her lightsaber and let herself feel the weight of it in her hand. It was so light, lighter than she remembered but there was still so much familiarity with it.

It clipped to her belt and she headed towards the training rooms on the other side of the Temple. The more she walked, the more she felt the adrenaline rush through her body. It was preparing and she could feel herself grinning. It felt odd but good to be training without the obligation. It was her choice and she wasn't concerned over how it would go.

The room was quiet as she discarded her cloak. Then she lit the lightsaber up. The familiar thrum filled her ears and she felt herself smiling. The warm orange glow covered her face and she swung it effortlessly. Her lightsaber moved through the air with each swift movement, her body flowing with the movements and the Force. It was so familiar. It was calming and she felt comforted for the first time in three years.

But, as she practiced the lightsaber forms, she felt a presence. The familiar green Force presence of Anakin. She let her lightsaber fall in front of her and turned around. Her head tilted. The lowlight of the training room left him mostly in shadow as she flicked the lightsaber off.

She was red in the face, her back sweating as she panted softly. She asked, "What are you doing here?" It was not accusatory, simply curious. He let his hands hang loosely by his side and there was something on his face. Something she couldn't quite recognise.

"I could ask the same about you" He retorted. She looked at him suspiciously for a moment before she shrugged. She clipped the lightsaber to her belt and walked over to grab a cantina of water. She offered some out but he shook his head.

"I couldn't sleep. Training helps." There was a little shrug at the end of her words before she took another sip of water. She then sat down on the bench and took a few deep breaths, calming her breathing down.