3. Great Escape

The first thing you noticed when you woke up was the pain. Or rather, lack thereof. 

Where yesterday there had been a blazing fire, an inferno of nausea and agony, today there was only quiet. A tiredness in your bones and muscles, but no longer a debilitating ache. 

The second thing you noticed were the whispers. 

"What? So you just brought her back with you? What are you going to do?"

"I don't know!"

"Vince is going to hate this-"

"Don't tell him. Not - not yet."

They came from somewhere to your left, and were clearly an attempt not to wake you. Much to the disappointment of whoever was making them, they failed miserably. 

Peeling your eyes open, you came to face a ceiling made from what looked like a dark grey fabric, stretched taught. White light filtered in from a window near your feet.  And, you realised with a jolt as you tried to bring a hand to your face, you were tied down

Head shooting to your left, you saw the two people from the boat - Minho and Harriet, was it? - and a blonde, fair-skinned girl standing in the corner of the tent-like structure. They went silent as you stared at them, eyebrows drawing down in fear and in confusion.

Nobody spoke.

There was a strange tension in the air as you lay there. They didn't move, only watched with wary eyes as if waiting for you to start snapping your jaws or vomiting black bile all over the bed you were laying on. 

You watched back, for a moment or two, fear growing deeper. Taking shape. 

Who the hell are these people and where have they taken me?

The tension snapped like a live wire channeling its' power into the earth, and you fought back tears as you pulled and yanked on the rope around your wrists and feet. The two girls took a step back, but Minho moved forward, hands held out in front of him placatingly. 

"Stop. You - stop!" He said, voice barely louder than the rattle of the bed frame against the wall. "It's just a precaution."

"Untie me," you said, voice hoarse from vomiting and lack of use. Your tongue was dry in your mouth, like a strip of cork or leather, and swallowing was suddenly difficult. 

"Okay," he said loudly, lowering his arms. Minho reached for the rope beside your head, but the blonde girl lay a hand on his forearm. She opened her mouth to speak, but he beat her to it. He didn't take his gaze off you as he spoke. "She's fine, Sonya." He untied the rope around each of your wrists with deft fingers, and you immediately sat up, undoing the ones around your ankles yourself. 

You were acutely aware of their eyes on you the entire time. 

"We.." Minho began, voice quiet. "We aren't going to hurt you."

Casting your mind back to the day before, to the shot they had given you, you weren't sure you believed him. You didn't move from the bed, but tucked your legs beneath you.

"Who are you?" You asked, voice quiet. Your eyes flitted continuously back between the three of them. 

Minho decided he would do the talking. "I'm Minho. This is Harriet," he gestured to the girl with fawn skin and dreadlocks, who looked back with keen eyes. His hand moved to the blonde girl next. She offered you a small smile. "And this is Sonya. What's your name?"

You ignored his question. "What did you inject me with yesterday?" Taking a moment to look down at yourself, your breath caught in your chest. You wore the same grimy cami and leggings, the same tattered boots snug around your feet, but the inky veins that had creeped up your arms and neck like tendrils had retreated. A few still remained, small and webbing across your lower forearm, but the pulsing movement from the day before had ceased.