Testing the Waters

Honestly, the first three days of school are strangely... normal. The only difference from the ordinary is that Eddie walks with me to my classes - even French, which is on the second floor and opposite end of the school from his next class - and kisses me very once in a while in the hallways.

When English comes around on Thursday, Ms. Smith announces that we're going to do a pre-project with our partners that will count as a double test grade.

I resist from groaning outwardly, but inwardly that's all I'm doing. Especially when Larkin shoots me a smirk that sends my mind spinning in confusion. Since the party I haven't really spoken to him except for the occasional inappropriate remark from him and my snide reply back. But that doesn't mean I haven't heard his name in the channels of gossip.

Apparently, Larkin is quite the player. Rachel from the party isn't the only girl he's been fooling around with. There's Karina, Rose and now I think Selene. I'm losing track and I'm not even positive he's been caught with all of those he's been fooling around with. Those thee are the only known recipients of his...company.

Not that I care. Don't get me wrong.

Ms. Smith explains that we need to make a small timeline of novels written in America that have impacted different parts of history. Only ten items need to be on the list and it must be presented in class in one week.

"So, I'll give you the rest of class to brainstorm with your partners, but let me remind you that you'll need to give significant background information to these novels."

Larkin waggles his eyebrows at me, turning to face me with his arms propped beneath him. "So..." He trails off, looking at me expectantly.

"So... What?" I look back, the same.

He shrugs. "What's your favorite book?"

My eyes widen slightly. "Favorite book? I don't have a favorite book... I have favorite books, plural."

Larkin actually smiles, his eyes lighting up. "Oh? Didn't peg you as the reading type."

I feel myself scowl slightly. "Um, I work at the West Brook Library."

Now it's his turn to scowl some. "Really? I haven't seen you there."

I roll my eyes, fiddling with my pencil. "Well, that would require you to actually go to the library, Larkin."

He frowns and pauses before admitting, "I do go there...I haven't seen you there."

"Wait, what? You read?" I feel a smile forming on my face - I can't believe this. Is Larkin really a reader?

He shrugs. "Didn't peg me as the type?"

I smirk, but it's kind of a smile too. "No, not really..."

A small silence ensues then, but it's not uncomfortable. I think it's filled with a slight dose of awe and maybe even shock. I'm just so surprised that Larkin Knight is a reader. Like, seriously, he's supposed to be burning down children play houses and vandalizing public buildings. He's not supposed to be spending his nights frequenting the local public library. Wait, what if this is just a joke on his part and he's playing me?

"What's your favorite book, then?" I blurt out, trying to catch him in the act of this maybe trick.

He shrugs, not really bothered by the sudden question. "Well, I started reading when I was younger. I read the Harry Potter series. I really like mythology though."

"Like Percy Jackson?" I ask.

Larkin laughs and I notice his laugh is genuine and kind of adorable. "Well, yeah, but the legit stuff too. I have a bunch of dog eared copies of mythology books."

"Huh... I see." I can hear genuine enthusiasm in his voice as he talks about his books.

"Why, what about you? What do you like, Gemma?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I read just about anything. I like memoirs, like 'Night', but I also like fiction a lot. The Mortal Instruments series... The Selection series... Just about anything. And then, I like some classics too; 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'The Outsiders', you know, the typical school required reading."

"Huh... okay. Well, it looks like we'll be able to do something fairly easy for this timeline. Do you wanna meet this weekend to work on it?"

I nod. "Yeah, how about tomorrow night?"

Larkin frowns. "Oh... Well, there's a party that I told Alise Davies I'd go to."

I frown. Right. Of course. "Oh, okay. Well, you can come over Saturday afternoon."

Larkin nods. "Okay, sounds good. How about two?"

I nod. "Yeah, that's fine."

Larkin opens his mouth, as if he's going to say something, but pauses. Then, he continues, slowly. "Has... has Eddie mentioned the party tomorrow?"

I shrug, confused. "No... why?"

Larkin shakes his head. "Oh, it's nothing."

"Is he... going?" He definitely didn't mention anything to me. I'm sure I would have told him I'd rather stay in with him than go out.

Larkin shrugs, nodding some. "Yeah, he mentioned he might... I'm sure he'll tell you, he just hasn't gotten the chance yet."

I nod. "Probably."

But in the back of my mind that same doubt surfaces again. What if Eddie's not comfortable with this too? What if we really shouldn't be dating?

There's only one way to find out: start testing the waters.

***

Friday after school I don't mosey around or even take time to snack. I have a plan and I need to act quickly if I want to accomplish the result I'm hoping to get. I retreat to my room and ignore Clive's calls of inquiry as to what exactly I am doing.

I move straight to my bedroom and begin looking up tutorials on YouTube for makeup and hair. Around four o'clock I begin scavenging my closet for the perfect outfit. My black scoop-neck crop-top, my black skirt with pink roses, my black leather jacket and finally, the best part: my black knee, high-heeled boots that lace up the front. I begin dressing, mentally deciding on accessories and makeup-slash-hair.

I could be girly when I wanted to. True, it took tutorial videos and time, but I could do it without Macey's and Olive's help. And this time it was crucial that they not know what I was planning. My plan wasn't to wow anyone. It was to find out what Eddie was hiding and to look damn good while doing it in case things went south. I wasn't going to look like a fool if he was hiding something. I was going to look hot and in control.

As I was curling my hair a slight knock came on my door followed by Clive entering. "Hey..." He paused, his eyes wide. "Woah, are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah, actually. I'm going to that party." I finish curling my hair and pin a few pieces back so that my face is framed nicely.

Clive shakes his head, chuckling slightly. "Two parties in two weeks? That's just not like you, Gemmie."

I roll my eyes which are perfectly rimmed with dark and dramatic makeup. I don't look like a simple girl at all. Even I think I'm verging hot tonight. "I need to check on something and it happens to be at the party."

Clive raises his eyebrows. "Well, I'm leaving for it, so... Are you ready to go?"

I nod, giving myself a once over in the mirror.

This was me testing the waters.

~~~

A/N: there's a pic on the side of the outfit that Gemma wears to the party.

Love always, Samantha <3