Chapter-8

Why is it that people fall in love? Why's it always a fall? Does a person's rational thinking go out of the window when they love someone?

I let out a heavy sigh as the memories of the past twenty-four hours mulled over in my headspace. I should've been angry at Addy for being so gullible and trusting. She saw the good in people, even in people who had neither conscience nor morals. I loved her optimistic nature just as much as I hated it. It reminded me of an innocent five-year-old who wore her heart on her sleeves; whose naivete had died a painful death at the hand of nasty experiences.

24 hours earlier

It was quite astonishing how well I had adapted myself to the new morning routine; a routine where I'd wake up at four in the morning and practice singing with Noah. A little over a week had passed by in a blur of experiments, assignments, meetings and music lessons. Last Monday, I had a practice session testing my vocal range. On the following days, it became an unspoken rule for Noah and me to practice early in the morning. Friday was when all the band members discussed the inspiration for a new original. It was now Thursday, the next week, which meant I needed to meet Noah and Josh for another session. The abominable music professor planned on scrutinizing me that day.

This time Noah planned on testing my cardio aka my breathing spaces, how frequently and how spaced out during the singing. He had told me two days ago that a week's worth of practice seemed to have helped with my breathing problem. That somewhat excited me. Being in a music band had been my dream. I reprimanded myself for being this way.

Thursdays were the second busiest days of the week for me. I had a half an hour lunch break at one and that was it. My physics lab ended at about four in the afternoon and Noah wanted me to be there by fifteen past four. Prof. Shashi decided on the timing so I couldn't request to delay it a little. However, Prof. Frederick, my physics professor, took a pop quiz during the lab, making me late for practice. I hurried along the Main Avenue, looking haggard as always.

Sweat dripping down my face, concrete ground under my feet as I glanced at my watch. It was almost four thirty. I squinted as the Sun beat down on me. Blood pounded in my ears because of the adrenaline as I recalled Laura's words. I was beyond screwed. If I were to go by everyone's description, Professor Shashi was a pain in the ass and I was about to find it out the hard way.

Fuck.

The lack of student chatter was warranted due to the uncharacteristic August heat, allowing me to brisk walk on Main Avenue. If only I could lounge in the dorm or library like everyone else. Sighs.

I rummaged through my tote bag, suddenly remembering my phone charger that I may have left in the lab. I hoped I hadn't been forgetful enough to do that because going back to the lab now would mean reaching the music room at five. That might herald my murder at the hands of a cold-blooded professor.

In my absent minded state, I bumped into a guy. I watched the contents of my tote bag spilling on the concrete pathway as I almost face-planted myself. Landing on all fours, I caught a glimpse of the guy. He wore a black mask along with black clothes and a golden wrist watch. The watch had the logo of a rival college on its dial. He didn't help or apologize before vanishing.

At that point, however, he was the least of my concerns. I quickly gathered everything and stuffed it in my peach bag before getting up. I tried standing up and faltered. My knee hurt from the impact, but I couldn't stop. The one good thing that came from falling down was finding the charger. Slightly relieved, I rushed with as much speed as I could muster with a bruised and scraped knee. I cursed fate for placing the music department building and the physics department building on diametrically opposite ends of the campus. Walking wasn't my strongest suit, but I had to endure it just this once.