Chapter-3

Why do people try to escape reality? Is it because escaping makes us forget? But, it doesn't erase the present, does it?

These questions sprung to my mind as I squinted in the dim lighting to get a better look at my friend. Addy stood in the center of the floor, dancing to an upbeat trending song with a guy I recognized from our Data Science class. She wore her signature bodycon velvet dress with a deep neckline that had an obnoxiously green shade. The girl in question could be found turning her attention to a certain blond every few seconds. Talk about being desperate and in denial. However, it was the way she danced merrily that made me question.

She wasn't the only one who had lost herself in the music, though. The dance floor was a swarm of sweaty bodies that reeked of alcohol as they danced dazedly. The neon lights and my contact lenses didn't show mercy to my eyes as I tried to get a better look. I hated Addy for that. Had she not forced me to wear those, I wouldn't be acting like a blind gal. I stood out like a sore thumb, standing on the side alone. But I had no intention of going back to my dorm. This place reminded me of how insignificant each of us was. How we could be what we wanted at a place where no one knew anyone.

The circular room had two floors. The first floor looked like a balcony overlooking the dance floor on the ground floor. I preferred the balcony, though. It had a handful of people who were waiting for their drink or friends. Much cleaner.

"Another drink?" the bartender questioned. I turned my attention back to the bar top where my glass rested, a tropical shiny liquid glimmering in the bright blue light on the bar's roof. Looking up, I found the bartender smirking, mocking me for drinking fruit beer. I grabbed my glass indignantly before turning back around.

I couldn't expect Addy to hang out with me. Besides, I wasn't some clingy bestie who wouldn't leave her friend alone. And, I could perfectly make friends. The space beside me argued otherwise. It wasn't due to lack of effort, though. I attempted to socialize, but I couldn't bear the thought of being surrounded by sweaty bodies. Besides, getting drunk to forget the reality wasn't an option. What was the use of trying to escape the inevitable? Losing control over my rationality, I'd rather not.

A sigh escaped my lips. As much as I loved swaying to the beats of whatever song played on the DJ, I was bored out of my wits. I took out my phone from my purse and started scrolling through the notifications. Emails reminding me about my tasks for the day- well, they could go to hell for all I cared. I was stuck here, but I was going to make the most out of it. Opening my Instagram, I scrolled through the feed, laughing at some random memes. That was clearly not what I had meant when I said I would make the most of it. I groaned.

"Hey, Eve." The deep voice startled me as I looked up. Noah? Well, if Josh was there, what else could I expect? I was, however, beyond impressed with his attire. The gradient neon colors of his jacket oddly suited his face, especially his eyes and lips, the same way his friendly smile suited his face.

Dangerous territory, Eve! You need not bother yourself with appearances!

"Hey, Noah." I inwardly sighed in relief. I would never admit this to Addy, but it was her courtesy that I wasn't wearing something akin to a potato sack. Wearing that would have been so embarrassing.

I couldn't understand why I felt embarrassed in the first place. Or maybe not. Living in denial was never my pastime, but sometimes you had no choice than to follow what felt easy.

"Need a drink?" I asked. I needed a distraction from my tormenting brain.

"Yep. Josh is adamant. Already had two shots." He shook his head in disbelief. "Another tequila shot, man." He shouted over his shoulder before matching my gaze to the dance floor.