10. Falling

Giyuu had pushed the wooden gate open and gestured for you to follow. You look at your surroundings, the yard full of green grass but lacking any other plant life. Facing forwards and looking at the back of Giyuu's head you glance around him and take in the sight before you. The building in front of you was small in comparison to the butterfly estate, but still large enough for a family of four to comfortably live. You look over the weathered home slowly, taking in every dent and discoloured piece.

'Is this your home Giyuu? It looks pretty weathered...'

"I wouldn't say it's my 'home', I just sleep here."

Giyuu pulls out a key from his left pants pocket and unlocks the front door. You hesitate for a moment before following Giyuu inside and closing the door behind you. Once the door is shut, you turn and step farther into the house.

There is a shoe rack directly to the left of the door, you look down at your dirtied sandals and decide it would be best to discard them onto the rack before entering the house further. Once you place your black sandals on the rack, you step up and into the hall.

You look around the dimly lit house. To the right of the door there is a small space and stairs leading to the upstairs. You move closer to the bottom of the stairs and squint your eyes, you see a picture frame with a sketch of what looks like a person. They have a fox mask tied to the side of their head and a scar that runs across one side of their face. They are wearing a geometric haori and are smiling with closed eyes.

I wonder who they are... maybe Giyuu's family? Wait, that haori looks really familiar...

"Y/N?"

You step backwards away from the frame and look down the hallway. You make out Giyuu's dark outline and begin walking towards him.

'It's really dark in here..'

Giyuu turns around and walks into a room on the right. He slides the curtain over the sink open, the once dark room is now fully illuminated. He opens a wooden cupboard up and right of the sink and grabs two glasses. He shuts the cupboard door and turns on the sink. You look around the kitchen briefly.

There is a small wood burning stove on the left hand side of the room and there are multiple overhead cupboards lining the wall on the left and ride side of the sink. There is a counter top that stretches across the wall with the sink as well, below the counter and more cupboards.

Giyuu extends his hand towards you and hands you a glass filled with water. You nod to thank him and drink it quickly. He follows suit and then takes the empty glass from you hand and places them both in the sink.

Giyuu motions for you to follow him once more and turns to face the sliding glass door that is covered by a curtain. He moves the curtain to one side and begins sliding the door open. The door gets stuck half way and Giyuu uses a little extra force to get it to open fully. He steps out onto the veranda and then into the yard. You follow him out and harshly slide the glass door closed again.

The backyard is baren, hardly any grass. There are two practice dummies on the left hand side of the yard, they are laid against the wooden fence. There is a forest farther back past the yard, the trees getting taller as they are growing up the hill. There looks to be a well a little bit farther into the trees.

"How do you train?"

You look at Giyuu.

'While waiting for missions I typically run 4 miles every day and do 3000 slashes on practice dummies. Recently I've been working on increasing me hearing abilities to try and pick up sounds that are farther away.'

"We know that you are able to maintain total concentration constant, and you have advanced hearing.."

Giyuu thinks for a moment before speaking again.