Chapter 32: Birth and a new life

Start from the beginning

"So if Wen Qing gives birth first, my son would have to suffer in the future, doesn't he? Just like you did. You are not interested in becoming the next emperor, yet everyone treats you warily."

"I got used to it. But yes, it would probably turn our like this. But don't worry too much. My brother has the last word regarding the title of the crown prince. Knowing him, he wouldn't care much if Wen Qing gives birth first or not. He would still give your son the title."

"Right... because all he ever wanted was a son. A son born by me...."

Wang Ji pulled me closer and I snuggled up to him. "But that means that no matter what happens, my son will get the treatment he deserves, right? So he will lead a good life, right?"

"He will. He is being loved by everyone, especially by you and me."

"You love him too? You don't hate him?"

"Why should I, my love? Every human being born by you will be loved by me. I never hated any children of yours. I love all your children as they are part of you. I am indeed jealous of my brother. I hate him for what he has done. But never in my life will I hate you, your children, your grandchildren, and so on."

"Wang Ji...." I called him carefully considering my next words.

"Mhn?" He nudged his nose against my cheeks.

"If the baby is born...once he is born, can we leave then?" I closed my eyes when Wang Ji froze. He moved back a little and looked at me.

"Leave here?"

"Yes. We can't leave now but when the baby is born, we can continue with our plan, right?"

"Wei Ying, my love, they would find us right away. The spiritual energy that slumbers in the baby's body would lead them to us. It's like a spiritual thread binding parents to their children until the day they come of age."

"And when we leave him here?" I knew this was heartless to say but I really couldn't handle my life here anymore. I had enough and wanted to leave. If I had to leave behind my son for me to be free, then I would do that. My son wouldn't suffer in his life. He would be doted on by Lan Huan.

"Wei Ying..." Wang Ji sighed and pulled me into his arms again. "You can't possible think of leaving him behind, can you? He is your son, my love. He is the child you carried with you for months and gave birth to in difficulties."

"He wouldn't suffer here, Wang Ji, but I would. Leaving without him would be the only way."

"You say that now, my love, but in a few months the bond between you and your child will be stronger than now. You won't be able to leave him behind."

"So you don't want to leave with me anymore?" I asked heartbrokenly.

"Of course, I am, Wei Ying. If I could I would take you right here and now and leave where no one could find us."

"If I ask you to leave together when the baby is born, will you agree? Will you take me away from here?" I asked him.

"My love..."

"Will you or not!?" Now I sounded rather defiant.

Wang Ji chuckled. "So early in the pregnancy and already mood swings?"

"Wang Ji!" I glared at him and he soothed me with a kiss.

"If you really want to leave, if you think you can leave your son behind, then yes, I will leave with you. I will carry you with my hands into our new home." Wang Ji answered and I smiled happily. "But if you can't part with your son, I won't be mad at you. I won't leave without you, Wei Ying. I will always stay with you. Right next to you."