Chapter 48 Goddess of War

Mulai dari awal

"Scatter," he shouted as they both ducked in opposite directions. A massive object crashed into the san where they both stood. When they looked back, they saw that it was, in fact, the maw of a gigantic creature that had attempted to bite down on them both. Physical and yet not, this thing was unlike the shadowy creatures Amond used as his familiars. These were cacodaemon, creatures that are drawn to death and feed on the living. Rather large bird-like creatures with rotten wings and serrated teeth within their beaks. Its towering form stalked them, its gray feathers blending into the mist.

"Ryan?" Lyse prompted him.

"I got it," he said, approaching the beast carefully. It seemed to regard the mortal curiously who so casually came him. Ryan grasped his pendant in one hand, sheathing his sword to point the other toward the creature. "I command you, a creature of the afterlife. You have no power in this mortal world. You have no power over the living. Return to me o great evil. I command you."

The creature suddenly writhed in place as if suddenly set upon by invisible assailants. Ryan felt that similar pull he had felt when he absorbed Amond's magic in ruins, he imagined that same pull acting on the creature, like chains attaching to its form forcibly that connected directly to him. And like before, he began o take hold of the creature's essence. His teeth clenched and his muscles ached as the monster struggled against his will, constantly battling him. Eventually, that link snapped, and he nearly collapsed onto himself. The creature was free of his attempt to control it and roared in outrage over his effort to control it. It lunged to snap it in its jaws, but Lyse was there in an instant to protect Ryan as he recovered. With both hands, he kept the creature's beak from snapping shut on them. Ryan took in deep breaths as the burning sensation subsided from his chest, taking out his shortsword and embuing it with avra. Lyse, with effort, managed to hold the creature back and allowed Ryan to advance upon it with many sequential blows. The creature's son fled after witnessing their power, returning to the mist from which it came.

While this made the other spirits outright avoid them now, Ryan still couldn't help his frustrations, looking down at the pendant that lay atop his chest.

"I'm sure you will learn its capabilities soon enough, friend," Lyse told him. "It all doesn't come so easily, especially since you don't have a teacher like I did."

"What happened to the guy that had it before me?" Ryan asked him, though he assumed the answer.

"Found him at the bottom of the well full of skeletons of people searching for the pendant in some town," Lyse answered plainly, shattering Ryan's assumptions. "He's dead."

"Is that . . . a normal way for us to go out?" Ryan asked him.

"As normal as you are willing to stretch such words," Lyse sighed. "Now come, we have much ground to cover. I want to be gone from this place by sundown, no later."

"Oh, so we are in a hurry?" Ryan chuckled. "Got the sense you're worried about something Lyse. And something tells me you aren't used to being worried."

"I'd like to avoid unnecessary conflicts whenever possible," he said. "You'll soon learn my ways, Ryan. Soon."

(X)

Makyra and The Diamond we're both frozen in place. Erebus looked directly at them as if they were standing in the open. His glowing white eyes contrasting the darkness constantly surrounding him, showered the two with devious curiosity. Makyra's instincts told her to run, but it was the diamond who grabbed her arm and tugged her hard to get to their feet. Erebus seemed to make no move to stop them, merely watching them as they hurriedly scrambled and ran as quickly as they could. They knew that they could not fight this, Makyra especially. They tore through the underbrush directly towards the Wild Halls. Above, the moonlight began to choke as the darkness seemed omnipresent. Finally, they reached the edge of the forest, the walls of the Wild Halls just in view. Their breathing hoarse with fear, they not once looked back to see if they were in fact, being pursued. But then, before them, the darkness began to shift and morph. And there before them was Erebus. His dark face twisted into a sadistic smile, standing before their sanctuary. With his left hand, he carried an enormous blade in grotesque form, organic shapes of waves and trees with screaming faces etched into its surface, moving eerily alive.