PROLOGUE

GOOD job Miss Ismirnov.” I smiled a little when the coach praised me. I joined his soccer team two years ago. And now, my team, especially our coach they consider me, their star player.

“I’m sure, our team will make it to nationals.” One of my teammates said.

“Practice is done. See you tomorrow.” Couch Martin said.

My teammates left quickly. I’m sure they went straight to the cafeteria. Kanina pa kasi nila sinasabi na nagugutom sila. ‘Di sila makatakas sa praktis dahil masyadong mahigpit si coach Martin sa amin.

“Are you going to the cafeteria?” Mandy asked. She’s my classmate and also my teammates in soccer.

“I’ll go change my clothes first. You go first. I’ll be there when I’m done.”

Mandy is not my friend, but we talk casually. Actually, I don’t really have any friends. I’m pretty sure I am nice and easy to be with, but no one tries to befriend me. They talk to me and accompany me but they never befriend me.

Maybe, because I’m different from them? They are avoiding me because I seldom smile. I look rude in their eyes. Especially because I got the features of my Daddy who is Russian. I’ve got strong features. Perfect brows, blue round eyes, with curve and thick lashes, long pointed nose, thin red lips, strong jaw. Kung hindi ako ngingiti aakalain talaga na masungit ako.

You can’t blame me, if I seldom smile or look like masungit. I am Russian and it’s rude for us, if we smile at someone we don’t know. It is also rude when we smile when there is no reason to smile. In Russia, if the police will caught you smiling in public for no reason. They can arrest you or give you a penalty.

“Oh my God! I’m sorry.” I apologize to the man I bumped. I almost cursed myself when I saw the tray of his food on the cafeteria floor.

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

I squat to help the boy picking the scattered food on the floor. Hindi ko mapigilan ang makaramdam ng panghihinayang dahil sa nasayang na pagkain.

“Papalitan ko na lang.” I said to the boy.

“No need.”

Natigilan ako ng marinig ang kanyang boses. I was dazed for a second. I never heard such a beautiful yet manly voice before. Maybe I did, but this is my first time appreciating it.

“Excuse me.”  He said.

Wala sa sarili akong tumabi para makadaan siya.

“Oh my God!  Haze, what have you done? Do you know that the boy was a scholar? Dahil sa pagbunggo mo sa kanya ay hindi na siya makakakain ng lunch.” One of my classmates said.

“I didn’t mean it. Hindi ko siya nakita at hindi ko rin talaga sinasadya.”

“Because naka-focused ka sa cellphone mo. He tried to avoid you, but you went to his direction.” Mandy said.

Okay, I admit that was my mistake. My mom sent me a message kaya nasa cellphone ang atensyon ko. Now I felt guilty.

I stood up and went to the food counter. I asked for a double order of monster burger, large fries and large cup of soft drinks. Take out.  Nang maibigay ang order ko ay bumalik ako sa mga kasama ko sanang kakain.

“What his name?” I don’t need to elaborate my question. Alam nila ang tinutukoy ko.

“Midnight Rain.” Mandy answered. “He is from senior building.”

“Okay, thanks.”

Hindi ko alam kung bakit dalawang order ng pagkain ang inorder ko, I am not planning of having lunch with him, am I not?