Chapter Nine

Haley Seresin

    Over the last two days, Haley had been out with Sabrina plenty. They did make a trip to see her parents, the Calloways had always treated Haley like a daughter. They weren't as fond of Jake, but to be fair, he had been a little shit in his teen years. That seemed to be the only thing they remembered. Haley knew her brother still could be a jerk at times, but underneath all of that, he had a big heart. Thankfully they didn't stay fixated on him long, they had just asked how he was. She knew it was just to be polite since he wasn't their favorite person.

    They spent the day of the wedding getting ready. It was a high school friend of theirs, Brooke. Haley was looking forward to seeing her, but not so much some of the other people she knew would be there. Haley had plenty of friends in school, but there were also a lot of people she'd rather not have seen again. Neither Sabrina nor Haley was in the wedding party, so that was less pressure on the entire thing. Haley wished Jake could have made it, he'd have definitely made it bearable. She was hoping Rooster would fill that hole.

    Sabrina didn't question Haley much more about Rooster during their time together. She seemed to sense that Haley wanted to drop the topic after a while. She had focused on updating Haley on her life and anything other than the topic of Rooster. They were finishing up getting ready. Haley had let Rooster know the information and he was meeting them at Sabrina's place. He had spent the last two days with Maverick. He had told her that he felt like it had been really good for the both of them, and Haley was happy to hear it.

    "Imagine when it's one of us getting married." Sabrina said, as she put in her earrings.

    Haley was standing in front of the mirror doing a final glance over, and looked at Sabrina through the mirror. "It'll definitely be you first." She replied, smoothing the front of her dress. She had on a pale pink, strapless dress. It was short, but enough that it felt appropriate.

    "You look great in pink," Sabrina commented, "And secondly, I doubt that." She picked up her clutch she was taking with her.

    Haley turned around. "I don't have the type of life where that seems feasible." She argued. "And I chose it. I want to be a pilot. I just don't really see all of that. Doesn't mean I don't want it, I just don't think it's in the cards." She stepped into the heels she was wearing and was ready to go. "And you look amazing. But that's no surprise."

    Sabrina grinned and did a hair flip jokingly. She had on a a green dress with a deep v-neck. It was a long gown, and looked regal on Sabrina. Though, Sabrina looked good in just about anything. "I don't believe that. And don't be so negative." She replied, "But my point is, I just think it's a special thing to share with your best friend. I look forward to us having that."

    Haley nodded. "I hope we will. And be this close forever. I can't imagine anything otherwise." That was the truth. She couldn't imagine her life without Sabrina. She was truly the sister that she never had, and hoped they were always that close.

    "Haley Bug, we will definitely be in each others lives for every important moment. I have no doubt in my mind. And if we have kids, they'll be the very best of friends." Sabrina told her. Her tone had the utmost confidence in it. "Near, far, wherever you are. It'll happen." She added with a wink.

    Haley laughed at her small Titanic reference. She agreed, she could be sent anywhere in the Navy, but knew some how they'd remain close. She looked at her phone. "Bradley is here. So are we ready to go?" She asked Sabrina, who nodded in response. Haley left to go meet him at the door. She opened it, and it looked like he had just been about to knock.