Chapter One

United States Naval Academy
January
Haley Seresin

After a long day of classes, Haley Seresin felt relief at coming home to a quiet house. She lived off campus in a rented house with a roommate. She was a first class midshipman, which was the equivalent to a senior in a regular college. It was what the terms were referred to your final year at the Naval Academy. The Naval Academy student body was referred to as the Brigade of Midshipmen, and it was a rank you were granted.

    Haley had already been through a regular undergraduate program, so she already had her bachelors to join the Navy. She hadn't known at the time that was what she wanted to do, which was how she ended up enrolling there. Mainly because it was a good way to become an officer, as well as going through the Naval Academy Flying Squadron to become a naval aviator. Her last three months were mostly being spent with flight training, which was a big deal. Only about 9% got in and received flight training at the academy.

"What the fuck!" Haley exclaimed as she walked into the house. She had expected quiet, not a half naked girl she had never seen before walking around.

"Is this your girlfriend?" The girl demanded, looking at Haley's roommate in disgust.

"No." Xavier Kazansky answered. "She's my roommate."

Xavier's date didn't seem to care either way, she quickly grabbed her clothes and stormed past Haley, out the front door. It slammed behind Haley.

"Fucking on the couch, seriously?" Haley asked him.

Xavier, known more by his recent adapted callsign 'Blaze', looked at Haley. He just shrugged. "It happened quickly. No time to get to my bedroom." That didn't make it okay, but Haley had anticipated this when they moved into together.

The two were both trying to become pilots in the Navy. They were both in their final year at the academy, and were in the Naval Academy Flying Squadron (VT-NA) course. Which was a class that prepared them to take their necessary exams, train them to be pilots to best prepare them before their final course to become aviators. They had some flying already, and people had begun to start getting their callsigns. Blaze's came from an accident in the kitchen, that being he accidentally set a small kitchen fire. It was ironic, his father was in the Navy and his callsign was Iceman. They seemed to balance each other out.

"We've been over this." Haley said, "Go to your room with your guests or leave. That was our agreed rules when we decided to be roommates. I've respected you with that." She told him.

Blaze's blue eyes fixated on Haley. "You haven't had the chance, you never go out with anyone." He pointed out.

Haley tightened her jaw a little. She knew he was right, she didn't go out much. One, there wasn't much time for dating at the academy. Two, she had realized lately she had feelings for someone. Someone who was probably her best friend there and she didn't feel like she could cross that line. "Well, when I have, we haven't done it in here." She replied, rolling her eyes.

"You could get just about any guy you wanted." Blaze said, "What's the deal?"

Haley knew he was probably right. She didn't think she had model good looks, but guys looked at her. She was on the shorter side, around 5'2. Blonde hair and green eyes. She thought she had a bit of a baby face, despite being twenty-four years old. Her twenty-fifth birthday was next month. "I just don't have time. It isn't a big deal." Haley answered.