5. You Can't Do That

"A date already?!" Zoya was more excited than Teja herself.

"I think I should cancel." Teja played with her phone over her thigh while she sat on the bed, totally unprepared and already late for the date.

"Why?" Zoya was concerned.

"I'm not sure." Teja faltered, "he's weird."

"Weirder than you?" Zoya asked honestly. "You watch serial killer documentaries for fun before bed."

"Shut up." Teja rolled her eyes, "I think... you know what, forget it, I'll just go and get it over with." She chose not to say it out loud, but deep down, she knew that Karan was hiding something. she had a feeling that he was concealing a big secret behind the charming act and the shameless flirting. 

Teja had indeed watched many serial killer documentaries, but Karan was far more supernatural to be a mere serial killer. She began listing in her mind the unusual traits that Karan had; the fiery-red eyes, the snow-white skin, the ice-cold touch, the insane speed... and the blood on his clothes the last time they met. 

At first, she had thought that it might be her own delusion, but she already met him three times; could he be imagining the whole thing three times? That's impossible. It's all real, and tonight she would prove it.

"Zoya?" She suddenly called, "Do you believe in supernatural creatures?"

"Only ghosts! Ghosts are real! Scary as hell!" She trembled to fake fear. 

"What about vampires? Or demons? Or anything with wild speed and weird eye color?"

"Like The Flash?"

"Zoya, I'm serious." Teja rested her elbows on her knees and leaned forward, "Do you think vampires might exist?"

Zoya smirked mischievously, "Teju, you've asked the right person." She fetched her computer, "Let's google it!"

"Google vampires? It's all a bunch of myths." Teja backed away losing interest.

"Wait, I'm already searching." Zoya clicked the keyboard few times, "Well, it says that they are unbelievably fast, have cold skin, pale face- because they're dead I'm guessing."

Teja looked at the screen pushing Zoya slightly sideways, "What about eye color and fangs?"

Zoya switched between the tabs and hummed, "nothing about eye color, but it says that their fangs are usually hidden, they only show them when they want to catch a prey or..."

"Or what?" Teja suddenly remembered the joke Karan had made the first day they met.

What if I told you that I'm a vampire? 

I don't see any fangs.

"Or turn someone into a vampire." Zoya continued.

"How to turn someone into a vampire?"

"It says- Wait, why are you asking so many questions about vampires?" Zoya shot her a suspicious look. 

Teja noticed that she was becoming too obvious with her questions, she quickly stood up and rubbed the back of her head. "Nothing, curiosity." She glanced at the clock, "shit,I'm late."

There were three rhythmic knocks on the door when Teja was still sprinting between the mirror and the closet. "Zoya, tell him to wait." she shouted from the bedroom before slamming the door to avoid any accidental exposure to her date.

Zoya opened the door and her jaw dropped, "Wow, you do look different..." She still didn't move, her eyes completely fixated on the beautiful man before her...