CHAPTER FOUR

Miguel stood in the main hall of the school, looking around at everyone

Miguel stood in the main hall of the school, looking around at everyone. He eyed the metal detectors and was reminded of what happened; Tory wasn't allowed to have her spiked wristband as it was dangerous and she had hurt Sam with it. Due to that, the principal installed security guards and metal detectors to stop anyone from sneaking things of that nature into the school.

"El Serpiente!"

Miguel turned around and was relieved that his best friend showed up when he did. Smiling at him, he joined hands with Hawk, doing their signature handshake. "Hey man."

"You sure you're up for this?" Hawk prodded, his eyes holding concern and his tone understanding.

Miguel's smile wavered before he nodded firmly and started for the stairs. He distinctly heard Hawk sigh in relief as he moved to walk beside him. In the few moments it took to reach the top of the stairs, Miguel hadn't had any kind of flashback. He felt his heart beat just a little faster for a second but it slowed back down a moment later.

Looking around the hall at his fellow schoolmates milling about at their lockers, conversating and getting ready while waiting for the first-period bell to ring, he thought to himself that this wouldn't be so bad. He could adjust again, remind himself that it happened four months ago and that he could finally forget about it. Walking to his locker, Miguel turned the dial on the lock imputing his combination before pulling it open.

His books were still there, lined up and leaning up against each other. His study papers from the last semester, which he used to jot down notes for a test, were also still there in an orange folder, untouched. When he thought about it, he still had to make up some of those tests since at the time he'd been in a coma. He'd been able to make up a few recently but there were still a couple more that he needed to make up.

Sighing, Miguel reached into the locker and grabbed the folder, stuffing it inside his backpack. He'd need them to study if he wanted to pass the ones he had missed. Tuning into what Hawk was talking about, he turned his head to look at him, finally seeing that the other boy was just standing in front of his own open locker, which happened to be right beside Miguel's.

Hawk was busy talking about what Cobra Kai has been like since Kreese took over and how the man was sometimes rude and brutal with some of the new students. How he was even brutal with Hawk and Tory at some point. Miguel wondered why Hawk was still in Cobra Kai if he didn't like the type of treatment Kreese was dishing out and voiced as such.

"Why are you still in Cobra Kai if he treats you so harshly?" Miguel asked, tilting his head at his best friend.

Hawk stopped talking, seemingly taken aback by the question. Miguel noted that his lips curled in a slight frown as he stared the other teen in the eye. Hawk rubbed the back of his neck before he replied to the question.

"Well, with Robby now in Cobra Kai, someone has to be there to keep an eye on him in case he tries to come after you." Hawk asserted, eyes filled to the brim with determination. "To protect you" is what went unspoken but Miguel knew that was what Hawk meant.