Kindled Flame

123 AC

Driftmark, Blackwater Bay

Ser Criston Cole is annoyingly persistent.

After leaving her father behind, Vanora wasted no time rushing to Aemond's chambers. She waited patiently for his mother to leave, but then Alicent asked Ser Criston Cole to stay behind and watch over him. Vanora had almost screamed in frustration.

Still, she waited in a hidden alcove, for Ser Criston to leave or fall asleep. No such luck. Accepting defeat, she's about to turn back around when she spots a guard coming down the hall.

Quickly pushing herself up against the wall of the alcove and out of sight, Vanora watches as the man approaches Ser Criston. He whispers something to Ser Criston who nods at him before they walk off together.

There's no time to waste. Vanora checks both sides of the hall one last time before dashing towards the door. She pulls it open and slams it shut once she's inside.

The room is pitch black save for the moonlight coming through the window. Aemond sits up in bed and squints, "Who's there?"

Vanora begins making her way towards the bed, "It's just me. I couldn't find you after."

Aemond is leaning up against some pillows, bandage wrapped over half his face, "I didn't think you wanted to see me."

Reaching his side, Vanora leans forward to rest her elbows on the bed, "Why wouldn't I?" He looks away guiltily, "Because of what I said."

Vanora grimaces at the reminder but that's not why she's here, "We can talk about that later. How are you feeling?"

Surprise overtakes his features, "I thought you were mad at me."

Vanora makes a noise of frustration. It would be easier if she was mad. "I can't be mad when you're hurt! The only thing I care about is that you're alright."

Aemond's heart stutters and warmth floods his chest, but he plays it off, "I'm fine, the Maester gave me something for the pain," he says, trying to act brave, "Besides, I have a dragon now."

Vanora is unconvinced, "Worth your eye?"

He's quick to reassure her, "I'd do it again in a heartbeat."

"If you say so," Vanora says skeptically.

She's silent for a moment, eyes darting around nervously, "Actually, I thought you were the one who was mad at me." Aemond blinks at her, trying to remember if she'd done something, "Why?"

"I stopped you from getting your revenge," Vanora says, lip quivering, "I know what happened to you wasn't fair," she takes a deep breath, "But I was scared for Lucerys. I didn't want to see him hurt."