Chapter two

Eight

"Aurora! Rory!" The once soothing, angelic voice was now frantic. Repeating my name like it was a desperate prayer to a god that no longer exists.

The chaos tingled my senses. Rattling my eardrums with the clash of metal instruments hitting the vinyl flooring. My wrists were no longer bound by straps and instead were shaking in the hands of my best friend. Her forever cold nursing hands were anything but gentle.

"Wake her up! Now!" Dr Maddon bellowed. Smashing the beeping monitor in the ground until its pleads for my life seized.

"I'm trying!" Xana shot back. No longer was she scared of the Doctor who would harm her next. "Aurora, I swear if you leave me behind I'm going to find you in the afterlife and strangle you."

"Xana." I sighed out, reaching in front of me until I could feel her luscious, soft hair in between my fingers. Her normal military slicked braid now loosened and sprayed on my chest.

"I can't open my eyes." I felt her raw, bitten lips frown under my fingers.

"I know, hun. They're swollen shut." Her gentle caress stung on my bloodied cheek bone. "What the hell did you do to her?!"

"You saw him." Dr. Maddon ignored Xana and even if he spoke softly, I could tell he was in the corner of the room.

Fear had taken over him. I could feel it radiate like the Sun used to on a warm summer day before it became a pile of dust.

At that moment, I wanted out. Away from Maddon and his maddening experiments that only seemed to get worse as the days went on.

Days turned to weeks as I started to protest in silence. He pressed, threatening my very life, each and every hour to tell him what had happened in the Hell I went to.

Each time I would stare at him as if he were a no one. No longer was he my idol I looked up to or the grown, weak man I feared. I healed quickly which gave me insight to a new ability. As if cheating death wasn't enough, I could also heal myself.

There were so many questions as to why and how. None that Dr. Maddon would answer even if I tried. So I didn't. There was someone else that had explanations. He just wasn't as accessible.

Soon enough, I could see again. The infirmary was my new room. With flashing monitors and beeping machines to ensure I stay alive long enough for Maddon's threats to turn into bribes. The most difficult one given to me a week in.

"I'll have your brother flown in. You could see him again." Dr. Maddon held my hand as he whined like a toddler.

The bags under his eyes had never been so dark before. Like a black hole swallowing his thinning face. His cheekbones were more prominent, sinking his eyes further into his skull where the nightmarish thoughts laid.

He was waiting to send me back. I could feel it each time Xana would come to visit. She was normally never warranted to this side of the compound with exception for medical treatment. Only the scientists and the experiments were. Though, she was stopping by every day for lunch.

We both knew one of our lives was to be cut short soon. She knew all too much.

And with my ability of, well, not dying, signs pointed to her.

It enraged me.

The so-called "fire," as Dr. Maddon had called it, was growing. Spreading limb to limb where it numbed my fingers. The fight couldn't be contained much longer.