Chapter 15: Worship (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Does that help you?" Dash asked.

"It might." John sighed. "Other than Mary believing she saw Jane in a window last night, there has been no sign of her here. Maybe she's somewhere else. But where?"

Dash ran a hand through his dark hair. "Honestly, it's for the best that she was not at the private gathering. This way, at least there is still a chance to save her reputation if—when—you find her. Who knows"—he flashed a quick grin—"maybe we will find her back at home and it turns out she just went for a walk and got lost."

"That hardly seems likely."

"No. But it's a more palatable possibility than her being mixed up with Hayes and his proclivities."

"Which ones?" John arched an eyebrow. "The ones in this letter, or the ones at the party?"

Dash chuckled. "The party. Though, to be fair, I have not seen Hayes partake since I got here. Maybe he truly is in love with her. But then, where is she? Hidden away in a room far from the rest of the guests?"

"Are there any left? There's quite a lot of people visiting."

"It's not impossible." Dash stifled another yawn before giving him a sly look. "How did you and Mary spend the rest of the night after I left?"

Feeling his neck heat, John looked away. Dash chuckled.

"I will marry her," John said.

"I'd expect nothing less from you." The amused glitter in Dash's eyes annoyed him.

"It is not such a bad thing to be honourable."

"It's not," Dash agreed. "I never said it was."

"We can't all be rakes," John muttered.

His friend laughed. "Thank God. The competition would be far too fierce!"

John only grunted. This wasn't necessarily a discussion he cared for. "I will return to Mary. Let me know if you find anything else out. I may try to search the house tonight when everyone is downstairs for the evening's entertainment if I can avoid Hayes noticing."

"He definitely seems to pay attention to you and Mary. It's just too clear that you don't quite belong here, and he's picked up on that."

"Surely it can't be that clear? We're taking part more than I'm comfortable with."

"It's getting better, but you would have given yourself away had you chosen Mary to go into the maze yesterday," Dash pointed out. "Most guests here are happy to... sample others."

John wrinkled his nose at the thought. He wanted no one else. Dash noticed and laughed.

"And that," he said, "is exactly why Hayes is suspicious of you."

"I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable bedding just any woman in my path," John said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

Dash huffed. "I don't bed just anyone. Just plenty." He grinned when John rolled his eyes.

Deciding that the best option was to walk away, John gave his friend a nod before leaving. Making his way through the quiet house—most of its inhabitants still asleep—his thoughts returned to Mary. And how he could convince her he was in this. That he wanted her and no one else. He was still pondering his options when he stepped into their shared room and closed the door behind him.

He froze as he caught sight of Mary in the middle of the room. She sat in a copper tub filled with water, her sable hair piled high atop her head. Drops of water glistened on her chest in the sunlight filtering in from the window. He swallowed as his gaze followed a drop of water as it made its way through the valley between her breast and down into the water of the tub. She looked amazing leaning against the back of the tub, her eyes closed.