10┆Escape of the Palisman

y/n took a glance again at the place she was at. Slayground, located in the middle of Bonesborough. She watched in awe as several baby-track Hexside students were playing. Eda, y/n and Luz were sitting on a bench.

y/n snuck a glance over to Luz, who seemed visibly nervous. "What if he gets hurt? What if the kids are mean to him?" She gasps. "My parental instincts are freaking out, man."

"He's fine." Eda denies. "Look at him." She points a finger over to King, who's trying to climb a slide.

"It does look like he's having fun. Aw. I wonder what cute little game he's playing."

"Stand back, cretins." King grunts as he reaches the top. "Yes! Yes! This is a throne worthy of a tyrant. Bow to me you snotty underlings. Bow!"

The trio watches in amusement as the kids share a look. "Okay." One does a handstand while the other does a backbend.

"Yes, appease your master."

"This isn't for standing, it's for sliding. You try." The kid with snot running down his nose shoves King down the slide.

"Whoa, whoa!" King screams and grunts. "Eda!" He runs to his friends, clinging to y/n's leg. "That monster took my throne."

"You mean the baby?"

"No, the usurper. I want you to go over there and blow him up. Kaboom!"

The Usurper, rides a spring rider. "Kaboom!"

Eda unscrews Owlbert from her staff. "Yeah, I'm not using Owlbert to blow up a five-year-old." Owlbert hoots.
"He's got better things to do. Like this..." Eda pets him, Owlbert warbles.

"Aw, what a sweetie. How did you get him?"

"Get? I made Owlbert from the branch of an ancient tree." Owlbert hops onto Eda's hand and hoots. "Oh, he's my palisman and we're bonded for life." Owlbert hops to her shoulder and nuzzles her cheek. "I'd annihilate anyone who'd hurt him."

King grunts. "Fine. Don't help. Revenge will taste all the sweeter if they fall by my hand alone." He laughs as Usurper shoves him over

"Tag, you're it!" The kid laughs and runs off.

"Oh, great. Here we go. King's squeak of rage." y/n giggles as King stands.

"Nyeh... nyeh..." he squeals while wriggling and punching on the air, pauses, then continues squealing as he charges after his rival.

y/n laughs along with her mom. "He is like a little teakettle." Eda snorts.

Owlbert scratches at his face. Luz's eyes trail to the indent on the bottom of his foot. "Hey, what's that?" She points to Owlbert's foot.

"That's his interlock. So he only fits on to my staff. Every palisman has one." As she spoke, she suddenly drops down, so she's laying on the bench.

y/n stands up, concerned for her mother as she hasn't fainted in the longest time. "Mom! Hello? Wake up!" Eda's eyes open, and y/n takes a breath of air. "Are you all right?" y/n helps Eda up.

Eda shudders. "What? Oh, no. The curse. Hey, we have to get home. Now!" She picks up her staff and leaves.

"King we have to go!" Luz shouts to King who is still fighting with this kid.

"Five more minutes, please!"

"King!" y/n shouts sternly, catching his attention quick.

"Ah, man. This isn't over."

"Okay, let's play again real soon."the kid hugs King.

"No, no. Keep those sticky hands away! Oh, no! He's touching me!"