032. what's dead should stay dead

Start from the beginning

"You won't. I'll be taking money from you. So, therefore, you can bet." She grins.

"Fine. Five bucks." Sam says, holding his hand out. Ophelia giggles as she shakes his hand.

+++

Natalie and Sam are standing at Mary's headstone and Sam is holding Libby. Sam pulls out some dogtags and kneels down.

"I think, um... I think you should have these. Dad would want that." Sam says, putting the dogtags in a small hole and covering them up with dirt. "I love you, mom."

"Is your mommy with my mommy?" Libby asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess so. They're in the same place." Sam tells her.

"Do they know each other? And Uncle Noah?" Libby asks.

"Maybe." Sam shrugs. "If they do, I bet they're taking good care of each other." He says, kissing Libby on the cheek.

~ ~ ~

Dean holds Ophelia's hand as they're standing by a gravestone that has "Loving Father" on it.

"Are you okay?" Ophelia asks her dad.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine, O." Dean says.

"You don't feel fine." Ophelia says.

"Oph... look, I know you probably have a weight off your shoulders since we all know about your psychic thing now, but you don't have to out everybody's feelings 24/7. Capiche?" Dean says.

"Capiche." Ophelia mutters. "Sorry." She looks down, kicking some dirt around.

"I--" Dean sighs. He picks her up, holding her. "I'm not mad." He tells her. "Just... just reel back a bit, okay, babe?"

"Okay." Ophelia nods. Dean kisses her on the forehead.

Dean walks over to a dying tree and knocks on the trunk. He notices a perfect circle of dead grass surrounding a gravestone. Dean crouches down, touching some dead flowers.

~ ~ ~

"Angela Mason." Dean says, walking over to his siblings and niece, Ophelia's hand in his. "She was a student at the local college, funeral was three days ago."

"And?" Sam asks as they head back to the car.

"And? You saw her grave. Everything dead around it, in a perfect circle? You don't think that's a little weird?" Dean asks.

"Maybe the groundskeeper went a little argo with the pesticide." Sam shrugs.

"No, I asked him, I asked him. No pesticide, no chemicals. Nobody can explain it." Dean says.

"Okay, so what are you thinking?" Sam asks.

"I dunno. Unholy ground, maybe?"

"Un--" Sam stops.

"What? If something evil happened there, it could easily poison the ground. Remember the-the farm outside of Cedar Rapids?"

"Yeah, b--"

"Could be the sign of a demonic presence. Or the-the Angela girl's spirit, if it's powerful enough." Dean says and Sam nods, turning away. "Well, don't get too excited, you might pull something."

"It's just... stumbling onto a hunt. Here, of all places?" Sam asks.

"So?" Dean asks.

"So... are you sure this is about a hunt and not something else?" Sam asks.

"Ah, jeez." Natalie mumbles.

"What else would it be about?" Dean asks.

"You know, just forget it." Sam sighs, walking towards the Impala.