Slowly, I tapped at the door with my middle knuckle. Rapping twice, I called out in a quiet voice, "Um, Kakashi? Are—is—is everything okay in there?"

I waited, anxiety peaked in my throat. It hadn't been such a daredevil move, but it was still past my comfort zone. Calling out to a handsome man in his room made my throat clench and my fingers tremble where they sat against the door.

After an entire minute of silence, I could wait no longer. Clearing my throat, I tried again. Louder, this time. "Kakashi? Are you okay? I heard a sound—"

Another thud came, nearly surprising my bladder into an impromptu introduction. I flew back in shock, my shoulders pinging painfully against the wall behind me. Tired, anxious, and now bruised, I felt tears burn at my eyes.

Such a stupid feeling, but my discomfort was real. I couldn't help what I couldn't help.

Wallowing in self-hatred, I curled my hands into fists at my side. Their tensed trembling eased my sudden burst of anger, and the tears fell away as quickly as they'd appeared.

That apathy thing is a bitch, I swear.

I blew out a breath, trying to remember the exact noise. Could there possibly be an intruder? Could Kakashi be in trouble in any way?

I nearly snorted to myself at the prospect. After years of living here—two of them completely alone—I'd never had a break-in. What poor, unfortunate soul would have the kind of shitty luck to break into a place that had nothing of extreme worth...and worse, come face-to-face with Kakashi Hatake, asleep in his borrowed bed?

Shaking my head, I cleared it of useless thoughts. I'm not sure an intruder wouldn't be making any noise if they were still conscious. Going up against Kakashi ought to make some noise.

I mean, it's not like professional spies would be the intruders.

This wasn't some fantasy land, despite the fact I was now roommates with a famous ninja from an anime.

But if it couldn't be an intruder, then what could it be? Could Kakashi be training?

But then, why didn't he respond when I called out to him? He didn't have any earphones to listen to music while working out.

Then, I remembered.

Night terrors.

My throat suddenly felt extremely parched as the reality of the situation dampened the anxiety running through me. It was like a blast of cold wind, bringing me right back down to earth.

Kakashi experienced night terrors where he dreamed about killing Rin, accidentally, in a failed mission.

Near the end of Shippuden, there had been a special set of episodes dedicated to Kakashi's life as an Anbu, before he'd met Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura. Kakashi, driven mad with guilt and grief, could only throw himself into his missions and become more and more of a hardened killer, thriving only in darkness. He didn't go out with his friends, he didn't date anyone. Heck, he didn't even read those damn Makeout Paradise books in his spare time.

But he did have nightmares. Rin, impaling herself on his lightning blade as a self-sacrifice to keep her out of the Hidden Mist Village's clutches, often caused him to wake up in a frenzy, as depicted in the show. The fear, guilt, and terror followed him every night, while every day was filled with ruthless decisions made by a cold-blooded killer.

I had been horrified the first time I'd watched those episodes. I'd really been looking forward to seeing Kakashi's life before he became a teacher, but I'd been unprepared for the sadness that had followed on his heels, constantly haunting him.