CHAPTER 46

HOLDEN KINCAIDE

PRESENT TIME

I had started to doubt Killian's men on providing the correct coordinates of where Scarlett and 'Quita' were, but then we saw the lights. 

Red and Blue. 

I slowed down, rolling the car to a stop before cracking the window. There must've been half a dozen cop cars and 3 fire trucks. I feared a truth that would lay beyond the authorities. Why were they all here, parked beside the reservoir, right where the dam was? 

If this had to do with Scarlett I-

I...

I jumped out of the car, the guys right on my heels as I stormed up to railing that divided the authorities from us, the public. On instinct I went to climb over only for a male cop a little scrawnier than me to step into view and place his hand on my shoulder. 

"Where do you think you're going? Civilians aren't-" somebody too close for my liking cut the cop off, their voice loud and booming as they spoke through a mega phone. 

"Ma'am, release the woman and step away from the edge of the dam" My stomach dropped to my feet, the guys faces turning white along with mine. The cop turned back to me opening his mouth to speak. I shut him down as I dug my hand into my pants, retrieving my FBI ID and holding it up close to the cops face. His face faltered. 

"FBI? I didn't think this was of interest" His face turned to one of confusion. "Wait, how'd you find out and get here so-"

"Move the railing before I break it" I grit, my chest heaving in fear and anger of what lies beyond. He nodded, not bothering to check, Schmidt, Eros or Dean for ID, just assuming they were all with the FBI and all with me as he grabbed the railing moving it, the four of us storming in before he'd fully pulled it away. 

I glanced around. No sign of Scarlett. Hopefully, this wasn't her. 

We walked past cops and fire fighters, my eyes set on the man with the mega phone. Before we could get close a palm slammed against my chest, the wind being knocked out of me for a solid 5 seconds as I stumbled back, not expecting the blunt force. 

"Excuse me sir. Our negotiator is currently..." The female voice paused, my eyes still closed as I struggled to breathe. Damn she hit me fucking hard. 

"Holden?" I tensed, wondering who the fuck this woman was and why the fuck she knew my name. I opened my eyes, squinting at the lights in contrast with the darkness as I looked down at the young blonde woman in a police officer uniform. I tried hard to concentrate on her face, but couldn't stop blinking. Dean took a step forward, coming to stand at my side as he squinted at the younger woman before his eyes widened. 

"Mariah" My eyes focused as I suddenly looked back down to the young woman. I'll be damned. 

"Mariah Alterio" I mumbled, watching as the blonde plastered an obviously fake smile over her face. 

"I had a feeling I'd see you guys" She sighed, rubbing her face. She was clearly stressed and I had a bad feeling about why. It seemed our little catch up was now over as I took a step forward. 

"It's her, isn't it?" I asked trying to sound as calm as possible when in side I was falling apart. Mariah looked over the four of us as we waited for her answer. Her eyes fell back on mine as she sighed, her lips completely turned down. 

"The woman's yelling demands but... we just can't meet them" My stomach dropped as I felt my heart speed up. 

"Is she after money? I have money. How much does she-"