Chapter 12

Jack

I set Bri's bag down just inside her door, watching as her eyes dart around the house nervously. My chest cracks open, pain dripping from me at how scared she looks. I reach out and grip her hand, squeezing it gently until her eyes meet mine. 

"Is it okay if I look around? Make sure everything's good?" I ask. I get the feeling she wants to ask me, but is too embarrassed. That's alright, though. I'll be here if she needs me. 

"Yes." she says, relief clear in her tone as she nods and steps to the side. 

"Thanks, sweetheart." I murmur, wandering around her space. 

I try not to be too intrusive, opening closets and checking around the basement before popping my head into her bedroom. I look back towards her where she's standing in the hallway, her arms wrapped nervously around herself. 

"Is it alright if I check in here?" I ask, not wanting to invade her privacy. 

She nods and follows me into the small room. It smells so much like her my body instantly relaxes. It's not too girly, but the feminine touches add that bit of warmth that make it feel cozy and welcoming. I run my fingers over the soft blanket at the end of her bed absentmindedly before refocusing on my task. I check behind the shower curtain before opening the closet. There's nothing suspicious in the space and I let out a breath of relief. 

"Do you mind if I set up some security cameras? Maybe an alarm system?" I ask her. 

Her tense shoulders relax at my suggestion, a genuine smile spreading across her face as she nods. 

"That would be amazing. Thank you so much, Jack." she says, the appreciation in her voice so genuine it makes my chest ache. 

"Of course, honey." I murmur, rubbing her arm gently as she relaxes further. She leans into me, resting her head against my chest. "I'm gonna run home and change then I'll be back." I say, heading towards the door. Her face lights up with a sweet blush as she nods her agreement. 

"I'll be ready." she says excitedly. 

I hurry home to change and grab Basil, putting a cute little sweater on him that I know Bri will love. We load up in the car and head to Everett's, both of us bounding up the stairs to his house. I knock anxiously and hear him call us in. As soon as I push open the door, I'm overwhelmed with smells coming from his kitchen. I follow my nose to see him putting something in the basket I brought over yesterday. 

"Just finished." he says, handing me the basket. 

"This is amazing, Ev. Thank you so much. Seriously." I say earnestly. 

"You're welcome. But you really need to learn to cook. At least something." he says sternly, but can barely hide his smile. 

"I know. I know." I murmur as he bends down to rub Basil's belly. 

"Good luck. Let me know how it goes." he says, wagging his eyebrows at me. I chuckle and shake my head as we head towards the door. 

As Basil and I head towards Bri's house, I start to get more nervous. I hadn't really put much pressure on tonight. I figured we were already living together, how big of a deal can a date be? But my jittery legs and sweating palms tell me I'm more anxious than I let myself believe. I'm not just acting out of concern for her safety now. This is genuine attraction and I'm putting myself on the line for her. I've never jumped in with both feet like this, laid myself bare for a woman. 

This shit is scary. 

That's my last thought as I pull up in front of her house. I push out a nervous breath and turn towards Basil.