SIX ─ [ . : 。✿ ] tarragon

Start from the beginning

Shaking her head in amusement, (Y/N) replied, "if you guys want to help, that'd be awesome. I've always thought cooking with friends would be way more fun than doing it by myself."

"Did your old roommates help you out a lot?" Silas asked.

(Y/N) chuckled softly. "No, not at all really. None of them had any interest in cooking. And by the end, the only time we spent together ended up with a bunch of yelling." She mentioned it casually, but it really had been a very difficult time for her. She'd always hated confrontation, and having to deal with such extreme amounts of conflict was incredibly stressful.

Silas frowned. "I'm sorry to hear that," he said quietly. "That must've been really hard."

"Yeah, it was pretty tense, to say the least," she admitted. "But! I have a much better roommate situation now." She smiled brightly. "You guys really have been so sweet. I'm glad we can be friends."

Of course, she was unaware that very soon, her hopes of friendship would be dashed to the ground. But for the time being, it was a peaceful and lighthearted existence.

The calm before the storm.

"How long have you guys known each other, by the way?" (Y/N) asked.

"Well, me and Naoki met our junior year in high school," Aziza said.

"Yep, AP Physics with Mr. Kowalski," Naoki added. "God, he was such a boring teacher." He shook his head. "Still a fun class, though."

"Only because you're a total science geek," Lori retorted.

"But the rest of us all met when we wound up at the same college," Elijah explained.

(Y/N) nodded. "That's cool! What did you guys major in?"

"Theatre," Lori answered first.

"Pre-nursing," said Naoki.

"Biochemistry," Aziza added.

"I was a history major," Elijah said next. "But I dropped out."

Finally, Silas answered, "I majored in automotive technology."

(Y/N) nodded, impressed. "Wow... you guys all sound so cool and smart," she said.

"What about you?" Aziza asked.

"Oh, I never went to college," (Y/N) shook her head. "Way too expensive." She laughed ruefully. "But I always thought culinary school would be cool. I love cooking, and it'd be cool to learn more about it... be a professional... maybe even open up my own restaurant someday." She shook her head again. "But I'd have to save up a bunch of money and even then I don't know if I'd even get in." She shrugged. "But y'know, it's something fun to think about sometimes."

"College is crazy expensive," Naoki agreed. "I'll probably be paying off those debts forever."

"I don't know, some nurses get paid a lot," Elijah replied. "My aunt was a nurse and she made bank."

"Isn't your whole family a bunch of trust-fund babies?" Lori pointed out.

"Nah, not Aunt Lorena. She got cut off after she came out to Grandma as a lesbian."

"Wow, your family really are assholes," Naoki said, to which Elijah merely hummed in agreement.

"Still," Silas returned to the original subject. "You're a really good cook, (Y/N). I bet you could do it."

"Yeah, you could be the next Gordon Ramsay," Lori remarked with a smile.

"I can't imagine you screaming at anyone over the wrong seasoning, though," Aziza chuckled.