♚ Chapter 21 ♕ Noel's Christmas

(Please listen to this as you read the chapter for the full experience ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ✩‧₊˚)

December 25. It's the day that I was born and it's the day I died.

♚♚♚

16 years ago

"Kai! It's okay! Oni-chan will protect you. Always!" I say as we cuddled under a straw blanket in the snow.

"But Oni-chan..." Kai shivers under me as I desperately try to warm his freezing body.

We were born in the entertainment district of Yoshiwara. Under those glamorous lights and shadows nobody will ever care for us. I can only hope that one day...

Oh no! Kai's head is drooping! He has a fever! What do I do?

"Come here, you two." A man wearing a white kimono was just sitting there. A golden glow of warmth seemed to radiate off him.

He pisses me off.

"Go away Oji-san. We don't need your help."

"Really? But that boy-" he points at Kai, "Shi-nimasu yo." He smiled that annoying yet radiant smile yet again.

"...fine. Do what you want Oji-san." I pouted as the cold overtook my body and I faint.

♚♚♚

"No! Please master! No more!" I pleaded as Master Aikawa continuously whips my naked body.

"You can't do that Noel. Bad children need to be punished..." his luscious deep voice was cold but so gentle.

SLAP!

SLAP!

SLAP!

SLAP!

SLAP!

After 10 days of Master's discipline, my mind seemed to break.

"AHAHAHHAH MORE MASTER! IT FEELS SO GOOOOOOD~"

"Better...Noel. My little Christmas angel." Master smiled that warm smile again.

Ahh. I live to serve my Master's smile. If only he could smile at me more often.

♚♚♚

Our mansion was attacked. By him the one who corrupted my Mistress!

Oh my pure little Mistress. It joys me to see you covered in your own blood! You're in your most beautiful form that way.

Ahhh~

There's no way he'll let anyone here live. 

Not after all this. 

Not my Master. Not Kai. Not me.

Here he comes! My Master's orders flashed through me.

"Defend the mansion at all costs. With your life...my little Christmas angel."

"Louis." His cold voice pierced the night.

Like a demon. 

"Yes brother."

"We kill all of them."

Why was only my name changed? Me and Kai, are twins in everything but personality. Why was I the only one?

I slashed at him with my katana but he oh-so-easily overpowered me as he plunged his walking-stick-sword into my stomach.

"Ack-"

That's right. My name is Mamoru not Noel. Noel is my master's name.

I fell to the ground, my blood leaking all across the training ground floor. I look up at the celling, at him at his scarlet eyes condemning me.

I loved her. My little Misaki. I watched her grow up into such a beautiful young lady.

"Hell...is empty and all the devils are...here...huh...ahahAHAHAHAHHAHAHH...Mo...riarty...I will kill you...one day in hell...for taking my mistress Misaki away from me....ahahaAHAHHAAHHAHAH"

Ahh. In the end, what exactly did I fight for? What exactly did I protect?

♚♚♚

𝓐𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓻'𝓼 𝓝𝓸𝓽𝓮𝓼

Nomenclature:

Noel, the name that Lord Aikawa gave to him, is a term signifying the holiday season. The word Noël comes from the Latin verb nasci, meaning "to be born" but in Noel's case it alludes more to the meaning "to be reborn."

Noel's birth name Mamoru () means "defend, protect."

His younger brother's name Kai () means "boundary, world, domain."

Put together, the two names form 'Mori-kai' () which means "to protect one's boundaries or domain," fitting, as Lord Aikawa has only ever used them for that specific purpose- to protect the Aikawa Family. The two, like all the other Butlers and servants serving the Aikawa Family, only exist for the family that oppresses them.