The Beginning

I was running from an ash colored wolf. He was gaining. My heart pounded wildly. THU-THUMP. THU-THUMP. I was lost in memories and hit a tree. He caught up to me. I was as good as dead.

It all started when I was walking on the beach as a wolf at sunset. I think it is cool that I can change from human to wolf. My pelt is a icy, silvery shade of white and my eyes are mud-brown. And, as far as I knew, no other human has this ability. It's cool and all, but sometimes I wish I was normal and somedays I like my wolf-self.

My gift got me kicked out of the house when I showed my parents. They thought I was a freak. I got bullied and teased at school. They didn't understand how it really was. I've been living alone, in my wolf self, only shifting into my human-self in public areas, for 5 years. It's been hard.

Anyway, I was walking on the beach in my wolf form when I was tackled from behind. It was so fast I could not see the attacker. All I saw was a dark grey blur land on me and I was instantly pinned. My years of practice hunting didn't fail me. I pushed upward quickly, surprising my attacker. While the attacker was stunned, I shoved it off of me and stood up, backing up to get a better look. I was very surprised at what I saw. The attacker was a wolf also, maybe even a shifter like me. The wolf was male, definitely. He had an ash-gray pelt and looked about 18 or 19 years old. Like me.

He layed there, gasping for breath for minutes until he tried to get up. I jumped back on him and growled. He used my own trick on me. He shoved upwards and flipped me over. Before he could pounce on me, I jumped up and darted out of the way.We faced each other, growling fiercely.

I was still growling at him until he howled and seven wolves burst from the trees and sprinted towards the other wolf. I tried to gather up as much information as possible by observing. Hmm... Let's see. Well, the wolves were obviously a pack. There were two girls and five boys in the pack. They had some way of communicating with each other without me hearing. As the pack gathered,the ash-gray wolf that I had fought slid into the ranks as a tan wolf stepped forward. He was clearly the Alpha. Then he spoke calmly and casually,"My name is Jack and I am the Alpha of this pack. We are shifters like you. This is Callie, Jamie, Phil, Logan, Amy," pointing out each wolf with his tail as he spoke, "and Xander." He flicked his tail to the ash- colored wolf.

I looked into Xander's eyes. Suddenly, my wolf screamed, MATE!!! I knew I had found the one. I ran up to him and licked his face. He nuzzled me back with affection. Jack suddenly looked puzzled. Jack puffed,"Now wait just a minute!"

"Who are you and why are you here?"He asked in a polite but commanding tone. Finally I got my chance to speak. "Hi, I'm Capri. I thought a walk by the beach might be nice.Why did you," I said as I flicked my tail towards Xander,"attack me?" Jack glanced at Xander and told him to explain. " When I was patrolling the edge of the forest, I saw her walking along the beach and I thought she was trespassing. So, I snuck up on her and tackled her. And then you came."His tone was smug but his eyes were apologetic. Jack looked at him, and it was as if they were sharing thoughts. They both nodded and made a silent agreement. "Do you have place to stay tonight?" Xander asked urgently. I snorted. " Uhh, no. I usually stay in my wolf form," I told them. Xander's mouth dropped open. "You mean you stay like this all the time?"Xander sounded shocked.

"Yep," I replied quietly. Then the one named Callie stepped forward and said," You can stay at me and Xander's house."

"Sure, thanks!" I exclaimed happily. Sleeping in a real house. As a human. Too good to be true. My hyperventilating was broken by Jack saying,"Great, now that that's settled, let's call it a night." The pack broke up until only Xander and Cali remained. "Come on!" shouted Xander as he raced into the thick under growth."Race ya!"replied Callie as she sprinted after him. I could barely keep up as they kept throwing in bursts of speed.

VOTE

COMMENT

IDEAS

-9508073mf