028. really long nap

Start from the beginning

"Oh, God." Dean whispers in horror, running his hand through his short hair. "Fucking damn it. No." He growls. "God, it should've at least been me. Fuck."

~ ~ ~

Dean gets back to Ophelia's hospital room and Sam is still there, Ophelia a little calmer, though she's still sniffling.

"Your father's awake." The doctor announces as he walks in. "You can go see him if you like."

Sam nods.

"Okay, uh... you two stay here, all right?" Sam tells the girls, putting Libby next to Ophelia.

"Why?" Ophelia asks.

"No, daddy." Libby whines, gripping onto her dad's jacket.

"I know, baby. But-- but I don't want you around your grandpa, okay? Neither of you." Sam says. "It'll be okay. Just... just stay in here, stay in bed, and-and watch TV, all right? I'll be back before you know it."

"Okay." Ophelia nods.

"I'll see you in a bit, baby girl. I promise." Sam says, kissing Libby on the forehead. He gently pries her hands off his jacket, giving her another kiss but to her cheek.

"I'll be back soon." He promises. Libby pouts but nods. Sam kisses Ophelia on the forehead before walking out and finds the doctor a few doors down.

"Doc, what about my brother?" Sam asks.

"Well, he sustained serious injury -- blood loss, contusions to his liver and kidney. But it's the head trauma I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema."

"Well, what can we do?"

"Well, we won't know his full condition until he wakes up. If he wakes up."

"If?"

"Oh, screw you, doc, I'm waking up." Dean sneers.

"I have to be honest, most people with this degree of injury wouldn't have survived this long. He's fighting very hard. But you need to have realistic expectations." The doctor says.

"Come on, Sam. Go find some hoodoo priest to lay some mojo on me."

"And, uh... have you told my dad about my-my sister yet?" Sam asks.

"No. Do you want to or would you like us to?" The doctor asks.

"No, no, I-- I'll do it." Sam says.

~ ~ ~

"Here. Give them my insurance." John gives Sam a card.

"Elroy McGillicutty?" Sam asks.

"So, what else did the doctor say about Dean?" John asks.

"Nothing. But, uh... but Natalie, um..." Sam looks down. "She... she's gone." His voice cracks. "They... they lost her. She-- she didn't even make it to the hospital." Sam says, ignoring the sting of tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." John says. Dean scoffs in disbelief at his father's lack of caring. Sam looks up at him, a range of emotions passing through him at the lack of emotion in John's tone and on his face.

"You really don't care. You couldn't care less if she was dead or not." Sam says.

"Sam--"

"I mean, why should I be surprised? You left her for dead with those vamps. I bet you're fucking celebrating on the inside." Sam sneers.

"Look, let's focus on Dean. We haven't lost him yet." John says.

"Unbelievable." Sam mutters, rolling his eyes.