31

The nightair tasted heavy to Aemond. In spite of the air being filled with the sweet scent of night blooms. His heart thundered in his chest as he viewed Aemma before him. He so dearly and deeply wanted to do as she asked, but he had to leave for the stormlands tomorrow, and offer their child in marriage towards Lord Borros in exchange for his forces. He didn't wish to, and he was sure he'd find a way to undo the betrothal before the day would come, but tomorrow, tomorrow he needed to be there. Despite Aemma's warning. Despite his sisters warning, who also spoke of a violent storm. Aemond tried to shake their warnings off, he would go on Vhagar,thus ensuring that he'd be safe. He'd dress for the weather, and Lord Borros wouldn't kill guests under his roof, so as long as Aemond would keep Vhagar close he'd be safe. He'd make it back home to Aemma.

"Just promise me, Aemond please." Whispered Aemma as she casted her eyes away. She sighted and took a step towards the railing of the balcony, where nightblooms laced the air in a sweet musk, letting her fingers trace over it's leaf.

"War is upon our hands Aemond, and you can't." She bit her lip and raked her fingers through her hair. "You can't hurt my family, our family."

Aemond cast his eyes away and supressed a sigh. Biting his lip he eyed the princess in front of him up and down. "Can't I? Mustn't I? I also uphold a duty to my mother, to my brother the King, though foolish he is this war is not."

"Look at me!" Pleaded Aemma, putting her hands on his cheeks. The skin soft under her thumbs. "Look me in the eyes and tell me you do not care for me or our child, then alone I'd plead no more." Her hard gaze softened, her lips presssed together as a tear slipped from her eye. "You shouldn't have sworn yourself to me if all you were to do is uphold the part that seems to satisfy your needs mosr. Protecting me also means not participating in the war to come, we must supress it. We must make our kin see reason Aemond. Can you not see that a war would undo us all?"

Aemond furrowed his brow, his heart beating agonizingly loud in his chest. He did not know if Aemma spoke of him being the one to hold the reign over the Seven Kingsdoms, or if she meant for them to live in peace, he didn't know what she meant. Or what she wanted. All he could see what a deep burning passion in her eyes, one that pleaded with his soul.

"How must I Aemma? I cannot sit back, they won't allow it. It is not expexted of me, hardly in duty more in my nature! I must suffer-"

"You have a choice. You could have put an end to your brother farce a long time ago."

Aemma gripped his chin and stroked her thumb over it. "If it weren't my mother it would have been you Aemond."

Fire shone in her eyes  as the honey coated treachery left her lips. Her breath felt hotter than dragonfire on his face, and her gaze froze his eyes into place. He felt bound to her, wrapped around her fingers.

Though Madness shone in Aemma's eyes when her face sunk into a smile, all Aemond could see was love.