I understood.

So wattpad isn't updating my last story. So here it is again, vote, comment ideas, and yeah here it is.

"I know," she sighed, brushing the hair from her face as the wind blew harshly causing her cheeks to turn a light shade of pink. "I know I should be over him, but I can't. I can't forget the late night phone calls, the inside jokes, the knowing glances of something that could never be."

I nod, knowing that there's nothing I could say that could help her.

She looks down, pulling her hair away from her face again. "But. What is there to do? He likes her and she likes him. They were meant to be. Not us. There was never an us, so what do you expect me to do?" She whispers, closing her eyes to keep the tears falling. By now all I want to do is hold her, kiss her tears away, but I know she won't want that. Not from me.

"I don't really expect you to do anything really." I respond after what feels like an eternity to find the right words, but could never firmly grasp the ones that could form a sentence deemed fit for her.

"What hurts the most however?" She questions, pausing to take a deep breath before continuing," I knew this would happen. I still fell for him. We were on the edge and as I jumped he stood on the cliff to watch me fall and when I fell," her eyes close once more a small tear finally slipping down her rosy cheeks, "he didn't catch me."

I pull her close, forcing her to look at me rather than the couple that she hoped for what seems like a forever to be apart of. "Look at me," I whisper as her glossy eyes meet mine. With my rough, calloused thumb I brush away the stray tear, her eyes closing at the touch.

We stay like this for a moment. I don't know what to say, but I finally let go of something that's been deep inside me for too long, "He was a fool to let someone as beautiful, as thoughtful, as caring, as amazing, as....as perfect as you. You fell for someone that pushed you, but guess what? He may not have caught you causing you to land pretty hard, but as you fell, I fell too."

I let go of a breath I managed to hold after pouring out what's needed to be said. She opens her eyes in shock, her face still in the holds of my hands that are too rough for her soft skin. Her eyes bore into mine as though she sees my soul and I look into hers finally seeing who she is. The vulnerable, scared, and in love girl I hold in my arms slowly moves her lips towards mine, where I feel her minty breath fan across the top of my lips. As they finally touch our lips move together like the final pieces of the puzzle you lost for months, but found under your bed.

She pulls away, touching her lips with her fingers looking at the sidewalk we stand on, silence eating away at us. As she picks her bag off of the ground, she brushes a flyaway hair from her face, cheeks more pink than they were just a few minutes ago.

She walks away, for the last time without a word spoken, and she manages to say everything needed to be said. I finally understood what it's like to fall after standing so close to the edge. I finally understood what it's like to fall without having someone catch you at the bottom of the darkness.

I understood.