11

As far as odds went, date number three was destined for success. It had to be, right? At least that's what Jennie told herself as she approached the entrance to BLINK.

She'd grown smart enough over the course of the past few weeks to insist that her date travel into Daegu this time around. This would make her escape route that much shorter. But then again, with three times being a charm, she wouldn't exactly need one now, would she? Good thing too, as Nayeon's friend was running out of lesbians.

She had to admit she was feeling confident on this particular Friday. Maybe it was the excitement of the upcoming festival or her recent success with nailing down the recipe for her truffles. Whatever it was, she planned to use the extra swagger and was actually looking forward to whatever the night had in store.

The optimism felt good.

On the sidewalk, she glanced down at her denim capris and black tank top. Sexy enough, without looking like she was trying too hard. Just the kind of message she was looking to send.

Before she could even make it inside the bar, she spotted a woman making her way up the sidewalk. This had to be her would-be date. She smiled as the woman approached and the woman smiled back. A girl who is taller than her, dark short hair, on a slim cut jeans and a forest green top.

Definitely attractive. Like a runway model you'll see at Paris fashion week, and that warm smile that would snag your attention.

"Jennie?"

She extended her hand. "That's me. You must be Hoyeon."

"I am. Nice to meet you. I was so excited to hear you lived in Daegu. I've always loved it here and look for any excuse to visit." She blushed. "That sounded horrible. Not that you're just an excuse, but-"

Jennie held up a hand, laughing. "Not at all. I get it. Shall we head in? I'll give you all the insider secrets."

Hoyeon smiled. "I came to the right place."

The vibe was already easygoing, and as Jennie held the door open for her date, she didn't even try to hide the smile she felt creeping through. The night had so many good possibilities.

BLINK was hopping as the town came out in droves to celebrate the weekend. Music played from the jukebox in the corner and a group was gathered around the dartboard in the back. As they passed through the crowded space, Jennie paused to say hello to, well, everyone, introducing Hoyeon to her friends and neighbors.

Finally, they snagged a table to the right of the bar and sat down on the chairs. They smiled at each other for a moment. She could be wrong, but there might just be chemistry here. Time would tell.

Jisoo brought over a pitcher of Miller Light and a couple of glasses.

"Hey, Jennie. Jennie's friend."

"Hi, Jisoo. How'd you know we were drinking beer tonight?"

She shrugged once. "It's my job to know these kinds of things."

"Impressive." Hoyeon said, raising her eyebrows.

Jisoo grunted, which Jennie knew was code for thank you, and headed back behind the bar to tend to her waiting customers.

Hoyeon took it upon herself to pour them each a beer. "So what kind of things does one do for fun in Daegu?"

"Oh, the usual. Swap meets, recreational drugs, and lots of competitive gardening."

Hoyeon stared back at her wide-eyed.

"Kidding." Jennie assured her.

Hoyeon leaned back in her chair. "Thank God. I guess I'm a little sensitive. You just wouldn't believe some of the dates I've been on lately."