Chapter 22

Amaya sat in Remus' office sipping a cup of tea.

"So I did some research. I talked to Dumbledore. Sirius never had a trial." Remus said, pacing back and forth.

"Wait really?"

"Yeah. They just sent him to Azkaban with no proof. They just assumed he did it because he was at the scene of the crime. As soon as I found out they had no proof, I-I don't think he did it. At the moment I wasn't thinking right. I was exhausted after the full moon and I was devastated because three of my closest friends were killed in one night. I was stupid. It's no excuse for the way I acted but I really am sorry."

"Don't worry Remus, you've already been forgiven. How can we get everyone else to believe that Sirius isn't bad?"

"I've already tried talking to Dumbledore but he won't help."

"He never does anything for anyone unless it benefits himself."

"There's nothing we can really do anyways." Remus sighed and sat down. "Nobody would listen to us. I'm a werewolf and you're his wife. They won't listen."

"As long as we know the truth it's okay. That's what Sirius needs most right now. Us."

***

Sirius made it into the castle and snuck around through the halls as a dog. He was fortunate that not all of the secret passages were closed off. Everyone was in classes at the moment so Sirius headed to the Gryffindor common room. He only had one more floor to go up when he caught that familiar scent again.

Sirius followed the scent deciding that he can find that stupid rat later. He ended up at a dark green door. He quickly cast the unlocking spell on it and went in. He turned the light on and looked around. There was a queen size bed in the corner, a nightstand, and a big dresser against the wall. There were pictures on the dresser. Sirius went over to them to find a picture of him and Amaya.

'No way. Could I have finally found her?' Sirius looked over the other picture frames. They were all of the two of them, except there was one of the marauders and Amaya. He smiled at the memory. There was one picture on the nightstand.

Sirius started towards it when he heard voices in the hall. Quickly he hid under the bed just in time for the door to open.

"I don't remember leaving the light on. Oh well, I'll see you later alright Theo? Goodbye I love you." Amaya said.

'Who is Theo?' Sirius' heart shattered in a million pieces. 'Twelve years is a long time to wait.'

Sirius looked down at his wedding ring and a tear ran down his face.

Sirius saw Amaya walk to the bed and sit down on it. He listened to her breathing and longed to be by her side. After a while it began to sound like she was crying. Sirius had to fight back the urge to go to her and hold her tight.

There was a knock on the door and Amaya straightened herself up and opened it.

"Could you help me with my class today?" Sirius heard a man's voice ask.

"Of course Remus."

'Remus? Maybe he could help me. Maybe he would.' The memories of what he said the night Sirius went to Azkaban flashed through his mind. 'Oh yeah. He hates me.'

"Where do you think Sirius is now?" Remus asked as the door closed.

'They're keeping track of me?' Sirius couldn't decide whether he was happy or not. Did they think he was evil?

Sirius made his way to Gryffindor tower. The fat lady wouldn't let him in even though he had a list of passwords. He had to try another way to get in, so he scratched the door hoping to break through it.

Footsteps started to make their way towards him so he ran as fast as he could.

***

"He was here! In the castle!" Amaya was beyond excited. Maybe she would get to talk with him.

"Yes I know. We need to find a way to talk with him."

"I was thinking the same thing, but how?"

"If I was Sirius Black on the run where would I go?" Remus asked.

The two looked at each other with a smile, "James' house." They said together laughing.

"Okay but where would he hide in hogwarts."

"You do realize we made a map of the entire school, right? Sirius knows these grounds better than anyone." Remus sat down in a chair.

"Yeah and so do you. Where would you hide from people?"

Remus looked at the floor hiding his face. "The shrieking shack." There was something in his voice that made Amaya think he might hate that place.

"Great, we could go there."

"No. It's way too dangerous, besides everyone already thinks we might be helping Sirius get in. Sneaking around would just make it worse."

"You're right. I'm going to bed."

"Goodnight."