chapter four- Tabs on me

Start from the beginning

All the street racing and the parties and the illegal fights. Hardin remembered when he had to pick up a bruised Damon from a side street because he could hardly walk home.

He remembered patching him up as best he could so Renne and Bella wouldn't see.

"I get why you did it in phoenix, but we don't need money here. Dad's fine." Hardin said softly. There was always the money factor.

Damon worked from a young age. He was the one who put the food on the table and paid for the electric bill and gas along with water. Because Renne never did.

So he started out at a construction sight, working there when he was just a kid he'd run across the town and get the guys lunch because he was to small but by the time he was fifteen he was moving bricks and cement.

But one of Damon's colleagues that he worked with told him about this street racing and a fight club. It was where a lot of the workers went.

Damon, being Damon, had, of course, drove a car before he had reached the correct age. Truth was he had stolen the work car a few times to practice when he was fourteen.

He was surprisingly good, better than good. So on a late night when his boss was watching him, he decided to take him yo his first race.

It was a small one, for beginners nothing major. But he won, and the cash he got from it was enough for a month worth of food for him and his siblings.

So he stuck with it.

And the fighting, that came easy. He was a strong kid with a lot of anger. And what better way to take it out and get money.

"I enjoy it. I know you and Bella don't like it, trust me, I know." Damon looked up at his brothers, his eyes softening as he saw the stress in his eyes. "I need to do it. You know I do. I just... I'll be more careful this time."

Damon pat the seat on the sofa next to him, and Hardin sat down cuddling into Damon's side.

♡♡♡

The Swan siblings found themselves in the parking lot of forks high school.

Damon noticed Bella looking around the parking lot. "What you looking for?"

Bella's head snapped to her big brother's seeing him look at her with a raised eyebrow following her line of sight towards the Cullen's.

"No one. Nothing." Bella rushed out, looking at her brother like he was crazy.

Damon tilted his head. "What's his name?" Damon demanded. He didn't leave any room for her to lie.

It was like he already knew what she was thinking. His small smile had dropped from his face from his conversation with Hardin.

Now he just stared at her, his eyes were blank of emotion along with his face, so she couldn't tell what he was thinking and that worried her.

"Edward Cullen." Bella said to her brother, watching as he looked over to the Cullen's area to try to spot him. When he didn't, he turned to her. "He was a little rude yesterday, made it seem like a smelled. Then, I tried to swap classes."