SEVENTEEN.

originally published november 13, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: you take your position as queen.

word count: 4,331

warnings?: fluff, mention of sex trafficking, mention of benjamin, pet name (dove), not proofread

You felt like you were going to throw up. Your stomach was in a constant churn, the food you ate for breakfast not sitting well with you. You had known the process of accession was a rather fast on, at least in terms for officially making you Queen. The actual coronation would take time to happen. The earliest it could happen would be a year. But that was more for show. The actual accession began with the Accession Council and Parliament proclaiming you as Queen. Sam had had that done as soon as Benjamin was removed from the palace. Now, you needed to go sign the proclamation.

It terrified you to go do it. Really, you knew that it shouldn't have. All you had to do was go outside, not show your nerves to the throngs of photographers and journalists outside the palace, make it to the Parliament building, wave through another mass of photographers and journalists, sign the proclamation, and be on your merry way. And, yet, there were still a million things that could go wrong. It made your head spin to consider all of the possibilities.

Perhaps today wasn't the best day to sport an all-white look. You elected to wear a , a simple white blouse beneath your blazer. You fought the urge to bobble in your white pumps. All eyes were on you. If you fell...everyone would see. Worse, your outfit would serve as a stark reminder of the catastrophe. Yet, you tried to remember the feeling you had when you looked at yourself in the mirror. You had, for the first time, truly felt like a Dove.

And, god, when Steven looked at you? It turned you into a pile of goo on the floor. The way his eyes lit up, his mouth slightly agape as he looked you over. He could barely contain his smile—you could practically hear the smile in his voice—as he said, "Bloody hell, you look stunning, dove!"

Perhaps it was the tiniest bit pathetic to admit, but his words were enough to get you out the door, ready to take on the day and all that it would bring. (After, of course, you kissed him so hard and so senselessly your lipstick smeared across his face.)

Together, the two of you left your (now shared) bedroom and made your way out of the palace. You passed some of the staff on the way out, pausing long enough to greet them and wish them a good day, until you finally reached the front doors to the palace. You paused as you stared at the doors. The nerves started to eat away at you again. Steven seemed to sense your unease, and he gave your hand a gentle squeeze.