FOUR.

originally published august 7, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: things get much, much worse.

word count: 4,028

warnings?: royal au, arranged marriage, mention of affair, mention of illegitimate child, mention of assassination attempt, mention of demonization of did, pet name (dove), not proofread

It was almost strange, leaving the hospital. The doctors had kept you there for a couple days out of an abundance of caution. You figured that they didn't want to have to deal with the potential fallout of "PRINCESS DIES UPON BEING RELEASED PREMATURELY AFTER POISONING". You couldn't say you blamed them. It wasn't so bad, though. Being in the hospital, you mean.

For the most part, it was just you and your fiancés. While it took you a little bit to be wrap your head around the idea that your fiancé was a system of three people, it didn't come as too much of a surprise. It certainly explained why sometimes it seemed like he was three totally different people. You, however, had yet to meet Steven or Jake. Marc insisted on fronting your entire stay at the hospital. It was better that way. After someone tried to kill you, everyone was being viewed as a possible suspect. And his DID...Well, people are fearful first and logical last. He, and Steven and Jake, did not need the magnifying glass to be placed on them and their lives.

You figured, though, you would be meeting them soon enough. Marc was going with you to the safe house—him and Layla (who, as it turned out, knew about Marc's DID). At the safe house, there would be privacy for your fiancés to be themselves. Though...there was some privacy in the car. You knew that, with the divider up, the driver wouldn't be able to hear anything the two of you said. It was your father's idea—in case he wanted to discuss politics in the car and didn't want too many people to know what he was playing.

And you planned to use that to your advantage.

You turned to Marc, a teasing smile on your face, as you said, "I wonder if my father realized he was inadvertently making me a whore by arranging a marriage with three men."

Marc's face dropped, his eyes going wider at your words. You watched him, curious. Did this mean someone else was fronting now? You wondered which alter you would be formally meeting. "Oi! Don't call yourself a whore!" he said in a British accent, his face twisting up like he'd just eaten a lemon. "You're absolutely lovely! Don't joke about things like that!"

You were surprised to have upset him that easily. Quickly, you reached out, grabbing his hand, holding it tight. The last thing you wanted was for him to be upset with you. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. It was just meant to be a harmless joke, but I won't do that again." You ran your thumb over the top of his hand, before deciding to interlace your fingers with his. "So, are you Jake or Steven?"